Raytheon - Good company with competitive salary | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Good company with competitive salary"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Petersburg, FL
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general Raytheon is a good company with good benefits. SW teams typically consist of very down to earth, intelligent, hard working individuals. Most of the leads and management are stern but understanding and easy to get a long with. The company has a strong work/life balance ethic and promotes healthy lifestyles and flexible work hours. There are also many different work opportunities available to employees so its not uncommon for employees to bounce around to different business groups and job titles if they choose.

Cons

As with most DODs in this time and age, the money is not stable. Often times, programs and projects will stop on short notice due to funding cuts. Layoffs and staffing reductions are a constant threat. Many employees find themselves being forced to bounce around to new tasks and projects on a month by month or even week by week basis because funding issues. Also be prepared for lots of process and documentation. SW engineers will spend as much time with process and documentation as they will coding (if not more time).

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "great company"

Former Intern - Intern in North Andover, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in North Andover, MA

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

great company, loved it, great people

Cons

big company so some red tape and uselessness

2. "I wanted to avoid being a contractor... I became a glorified contractor"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lost of opportunities within, lots of CBT training, great projects. Possibility of staying technical or climb up the ladder. If you within a project-oriented competency (developer, researcher, scientist, Q/A, PMP, etc) couldn't find a better place...

Cons

... But if you are like me, a maintenance-oriented professional (DBAs, network/sys admins), well, it feels like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Also, the ever present chance that your project is cancelled due to government cuts.

Advice to Management

Business models are not "one-size fit all". Not all your business are project based, hence don't treat them as such.