Raytheon - Good company with competitive salary | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Good company with competitive salary"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Petersburg, FL
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general Raytheon is a good company with good benefits. SW teams typically consist of very down to earth, intelligent, hard working individuals. Most of the leads and management are stern but understanding and easy to get a long with. The company has a strong work/life balance ethic and promotes healthy lifestyles and flexible work hours. There are also many different work opportunities available to employees so its not uncommon for employees to bounce around to different business groups and job titles if they choose.

Cons

As with most DODs in this time and age, the money is not stable. Often times, programs and projects will stop on short notice due to funding cuts. Layoffs and staffing reductions are a constant threat. Many employees find themselves being forced to bounce around to new tasks and projects on a month by month or even week by week basis because funding issues. Also be prepared for lots of process and documentation. SW engineers will spend as much time with process and documentation as they will coding (if not more time).

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

"The place to work, if you can't do any better - I guess - great benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Woburn gym!! They provide(d?) trainers there!
    They pay pretty well. In 2007, an E04 Senior Software Engineer was making about 90K. An E05 could break 6 figures. (most people end in the 4-5 range) Given the level of ability at the plant, this pay was generous.
    I left to complete a degree. I am making much more (several offers) than I was there. Of course, I don't see most of the people there leaving, nor would I recommend many at my new employment.

Cons

Work environment. As others have noticed,Raytheon gets paid "by the head". As a result, I have seen managers simply promote their friends. In several casess from 2002-2006, "screaming" incompetent managers existed in Woburn (as well as Bedford, Woburn's predecessor)
    This would seem bad for the really talented, except that the really talented leave.
    Several incendents of public bullying - 2006-2007 personally witnessed yikes!

Advice to Management

Stop promoting losers. If you have someone who is having regular meltdowns because they can't do their job, but you like them, train them.
    Support your employees. Especially with educational benefits. Raytheons educational benefits are awful except for somene wanting to take "professional oriented" courses in conjunction with "work"

2. "great company"

Former Intern - Intern in North Andover, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in North Andover, MA

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

great company, loved it, great people

Cons

big company so some red tape and uselessness