Raytheon - Software Engineer at Raytheon | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Software Engineer at Raytheon"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, good software people

Cons

Lots of oversight, older engineers just skating by not doing much work

Advice to Management

Let younger engineers shine. Fire employees that don't get any work done, they really drag down the rest of the workplace. Why would I want to work hard if I see other people who don't get just as far as I do?

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Downsizing company offers few opportunities for advancement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in State College, PA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The facilities are well maintained, and management fixes work environment concerns quickly when informed, such as inadequate lighting. Safety complaints are dealt with immediately, and ethics is placed as a top priority.

The company is a large corporation that has many locations and makes it easy to transfer between those locations. Employees looking for an away assignment to get experience in a new area are often accommodated easily. Section managers and team leaders, are nice and are as responsive as possible to employee concerns.

Raytheon has the most schedule flexibility of any company I've ever worked for. Employees may work a standard 8-hour day, work 9 hours with every other Friday off, or take random days off using vacation time or by working into the evening some other day. One person works 10 hour days and takes most Fridays off.

Raytheon pays a bonus, which is a percentage of salary every year based upon the company's performance. Pay is competitive. I work at Raytheon because the pay is good, not because I love my job or because I see a future in moving up the chain.

Raytheon has, by far, the most talented engineers I have ever met at any company. While management prevents that talent from reaching its full potential (see cons), you won't find yourself explaining basic math or programming concepts to people who work for Raytheon. "Weak" team members who drag down productivity are nonexistent.

Cons

When I started at Raytheon, there were over 700 employees working in six buildings at this campus. Several years later, there are now fewer than 300 people left working in a single building, with round after round of layoffs. Layoffs occur frequently and 20-year employees have been suddenly told to leave on the same day without prior notification. Over a year passed when not a single person was hired.

With few exceptions, Raytheon continues to gradually cut employee benefits. The company used to provide on-site cafeteria service (discontinued), a free gym (which later had the price increase and is now closed), and increased the price of health insurance, among other things. They even had a post office at one point (which is now closed). Achievement awards, which used to be given out in recognition of good performance, are now nonexistent.

Raytheon does not pay overtime for under 48 hours of work. Some programs take advantage of this policy by mandating 47 hours of work for 40 hours' pay. Management repeatedly underestimates the amount of time it will take to accomplish tasks at Raytheon, which repeatedly leads to overtime situations and poor quality products as a result.

Working inside a secure environment is stressful and can cause paranoia about things like forgetting to take a cell phone out of a pocket. Raytheon has the strictest security procedures that I have seen in the industry. Listening to music while programming is effectively prohibited, for example, despite it being allowed at comparable businesses.

Unfortunately, there are few opportunities for advancement at Raytheon. Many employees receive "exceeds expectations" performance ratings year after year, and management does not promote them to higher positions.

Advice to Management

There is nothing more important to an employer in software than its employees. The cost of replacing a good employee with knowledge of a program and a security clearance can approach a quarter million dollars. But managers make the same mistakes over and over and create unrealistic schedules that are destined to fail, and employees quit after management thinks that unpaid overtime will resurrect the project.

Raytheon has the smartest and most talented engineers that I, at least, have ever worked with. There are few slackers at Raytheon. Customers agree that Raytheon's solutions are technically brilliant.

Raytheon repeatedly makes the mistake of overmanaging its employees with excessive paperwork and by allowing managers who have less knowledge of technical matters to dictate solutions that are suboptimal.

More trust in employees' ability to get the work done would make productivity and quality skyrocket.

2. "Intern"

Current Employee - EHS Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - EHS Intern in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its great meet a lot of the workers all so friendly

Cons

its a large corporation so rising to the top may be hard

Advice to Management

keep doing what they are doing because its working