Raytheon - A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thought Raytheon was mostly fine. The benefits were fine. My coworkers were mostly good and helpful people. There was rarely an expectation to work past normal hours.

Cons

Compensation. I started out in a very junior role simply assisting a senior engineer maintain and develop some JSP sites. After a year though, the senior engineer found a new job elsewhere and I was left to maintain those sites alone. Later, I was tasked with entirely new development efforts in ASP.NET and SharePoint. That's the context I provide when I now inform you that in my nearly five years there I received no promotions, and my raises did not even keep pace with the rate of inflation much less surpass it.

You'll note below that I did check the box recommending this company to a friend. I do that because I think this division of Raytheon would still be fine for a short stint of say 2-3 years. Plus my situation was probably a bit more extreme than normal. My only advice is that if you feel you're getting shortchanged when the annual raise time comes around, don't believe them when they say it will be better next year.

Advice to Management

I know Raytheon is a large company, so I'm sure of their management already knows this, but those that don't need to realize that undervaluing your employees may save you money in the short run, but is probably costing the company a fortune in the long run. The costs of high turnover are not insignificant.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "I enjoyed my experience"

Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Raytheon is friendly towards veterans and takes prior service into account when applying for positions within their organization.

Cons

The one thing that I did not feel strongly about was the career progression path for some of their non-traditional roles. It seemed that there was clearly defined path moving from the field work to other roles.

2. "Great company but must actively seek more opportunities"

Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Intern - Electrical Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Innovative IT tools for employees
    -friendly employees
    -Decent pay
    -Offers classes for further learning

Cons

-It might take a while to be assigned meaningful work as an intern

Advice to Management

I recommend better communication between the human resource group and the managers that are supervising the interns. This is a win-win for both the manager and the intern.