Raytheon - Great experience at Raytheon Catalytics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Great experience at Raytheon Catalytics"

Pros

Large company
Vast knowledge base
Opportunity to group and move

Cons

Large Company
To much Red Tape

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "A7a"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Boston, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Technical Leadership, International Opportunities

Cons

Moral dilemma - the work saves lives and kills people. Some times the management style reverts back to the 60's

Advice to Management

Break the glass ceilings and add diversity. Minimize the rhetoric on doing this for the war fighter - the company's is about P&L.

"Embarrassing front line and mid level leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Aerospace is an exciting industry if you like high tech work.

Cons

My Raytheon experience related to my career was nearly entirely negative. Hard work and accomplishment was almost never recognized. If you weren't military or ex-military there are few to no opportunities for growth. I experienced a tremendous amount of what I can only call lazy and / or unqualified front line managers. To be successful at this company you have to be willing to never question anything, go with the flow and be a yes man. Anyone who stands tall is cut down like a blade of grass. Qualifications rarely appeared to be a requisite for promotion or even hiring. I saw so many people doing little to no work for years with no accountability. At the same time I saw very high quality people stagnate. In the area I worked leaders seemed to promote people based on who questioned or threatened them the least. Building great teams was tertiary to self preservation and ensuring there is no accountability. Everyone is too busy putting out fires to step back and develop bigger picture plans to avoid fires in the first place. For a global company Raytheon is very tolerant of poor quality talent. I would never recommend anyone that is intelligent, ambitious, qualified, hard working or dedicated to consider working at this company. I regret having suggested to colleagues to work for this embarrassingly poorly managed business. The poorly qualified manager I reported to combined with a stacked ranking system has bred a culture of mediocrity and self preservation. The harder you work the more work you will get and no commiserate recognition for contributions. All around the leadership I reported to within the engineering function should be ashamed at the level of non compliance they allow the bottom of the organization to exhibit for the real goals they set forth to direct the business. It really is amazing.

Advice to Management

The fix is easy. First, get rid of stacked ranking. This is destroying the motivation of the hardest working people at the business and allows the bottom performers to hide. The ratings and rankings process is causing critical damage to the workforce, the business and the culture. Second, institute open and frequent feedback from front line employees to encourage them to review and evaluate their leadership. This cant be done by having an employee “skip” a level of management and provide this feedback to their supervisors manager. No one will say anything. This feedback needs to be done in a way where people are encouraged to be candid and their concerns can have a confidential path to someone that will take action. There is a perception that the managers protect other managers at all costs. My theory is that they do this because they don’t want to look like they have direct reports that aren't going a good job, so the criticism rolls down hill until they find someone with no direct reports to put the responsibility on. There is so little accountability on the part of managers it is unbelievable. Also I want to qualify this and say that some of these issues may be localized to the part of the business I was working in.