Raytheon - Great old engineering company with great history of achievement - the government gets its money's worth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Great old engineering company with great history of achievement - the government gets its money's worth"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Woburn, MA
Former Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, hard working and great people and good pay. The challenges are many but worth the tremendous effort the employees put forth.

Cons

The company is sometimes overloaded by government demanded programs (such as six sigma, total quality management TQM) that have nothing to do with real engineering and science. Understandably the management should be involved with this, but the government forces everyone to be involved with it and it takes valuable time away from solving engineering problems.

Advice to Management

Since I was not in management, I have no advice to give. Management at Raytheon was fine.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Large company style, slow paced, and comfortable."

Former Employee - Supplier Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Supplier Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for salary, health care benefits and vacation. Teams are formed on each program and this is where friendships are made.

Cons

To large and easy to get lost in the crowd. You need to align yourself with the correct leaders in order to move upward. You also need to find a team that is like minded. Too many teams are either youth based or the extreme opposite, where older workers are set in their ways

Advice to Management

Listen to the comments made at yearly reviews. Take action on those folks who have greater talent than you have noticed and promote those who actually perform and also ask for a promotion.

"Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing"

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI
    Former Contractor - Graphic Designer in Troy, MI

I worked at Raytheon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Projects are very organized with clear requirements and time frames

Cons

Was a contractor. Was told before Christmas break that my contract was renewed and I'd be on for another 3 months. Was told the day after coming back that whoever approved this didn't talk with my boss and that he didn't have enough work for me. So, instead of being given a chance during the 1.5 week break for Christmas to look for a new job, I just assumed I was safe and suddenly had to scramble after the New Year.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employee's feel like they're just a number. Talk to them. Get to know them. Have a stake in their life's.