Raytheon - Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, location & atmosphere. Very flexible with schedule & work life balance. Supports telecommuting among employees. Many career opportunities within various disciplines.

Cons

Layoff risks depending on defense contracts & gov't budgets

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

"Raytheon IIS - Aurora Campus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The paychecks clear on time.

Cons

Raytheon IIS has consistently gone downhill in my 10+ years with them, particularly since Lynn Dugal has taken the helm of the business unit. Programs are bid to win the contract, not to appropriately execute the contract. This requires the individual contributor to work an exorbant amount of "casual", or unpaid, overtime. A typical work week on the program I support is ~60 hours and weekend work is sometimes announced on Friday afternoon, as it was this last Easter weekend. Recently the profit sharing plan (a 3% bonus each year) was eliminated. When questioned about how she intended to retain quality personell, Ms. Dugal basically stated the "door is over there"... the top performers are taking her up on that.

Advice to Management

RTN management (at the program level) is too reactive and far less proactive in planning and executing. Schedule planning is less about what we can realistically execute and more about how we can appease our customer for a few more months. My current program manager (on a major program worth hundreds of millions) has failed in previous similar-sized programs but continues to be allowed to work large scale programs. Fire him, already!

RTN management (at the corporate level) has forgotten who makes the profit for the company. Compensation changes over the last five years have resulted in most employees not benefiting from the success of the company. 401K contributions to RTN stock was limited to 20%, PSP was removed... yet, RTN has had amazing profits for the last 5 years.

2. "Great People...Corporate doesn't always see that"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II (E04) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer II (E04) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging Problems, Steady, Good Contracts, Growth

Cons

Some programs are very top heavy, You have to change programs to move up...some engineers have good breadth of experience, but it is rarely noticed

Layoffs...fact of life in defence right now

Advice to Management

Look beyond those metrics in your rankings...definitely look beyong the performance reviews. There are some engineers and scientists that perform well outside of the pigeon holes.