Raytheon - Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, location & atmosphere. Very flexible with schedule & work life balance. Supports telecommuting among employees. Many career opportunities within various disciplines.

Cons

Layoff risks depending on defense contracts & gov't budgets

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Raytheon"

Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Sudbury, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Electrical Engineer in Sudbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting projects to work on

Cons

Can be diffiicult to get good assignments, doing a good (or great) job on an assignment does not translate into career advancement. It is often necessary to move from project to project, organization to organization, to find suitably interestng and challenging work. Even harder to advance into management. Women are not taken seriously either technically or as managers. Women can apply for jobs through human resources and if they are deemed qualified the hiring manager is required to interview them, but that's about it. Just this week I was one of 5 candidates for a techical management job, and the only candidate to have risen through the ranks. Needless to say I did not get the job.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for advancement.

"Raytheon IIS - Aurora Campus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The paychecks clear on time.

Cons

Raytheon IIS has consistently gone downhill in my 10+ years with them, particularly since Lynn Dugal has taken the helm of the business unit. Programs are bid to win the contract, not to appropriately execute the contract. This requires the individual contributor to work an exorbant amount of "casual", or unpaid, overtime. A typical work week on the program I support is ~60 hours and weekend work is sometimes announced on Friday afternoon, as it was this last Easter weekend. Recently the profit sharing plan (a 3% bonus each year) was eliminated. When questioned about how she intended to retain quality personell, Ms. Dugal basically stated the "door is over there"... the top performers are taking her up on that.

Advice to Management

RTN management (at the program level) is too reactive and far less proactive in planning and executing. Schedule planning is less about what we can realistically execute and more about how we can appease our customer for a few more months. My current program manager (on a major program worth hundreds of millions) has failed in previous similar-sized programs but continues to be allowed to work large scale programs. Fire him, already!

RTN management (at the corporate level) has forgotten who makes the profit for the company. Compensation changes over the last five years have resulted in most employees not benefiting from the success of the company. 401K contributions to RTN stock was limited to 20%, PSP was removed... yet, RTN has had amazing profits for the last 5 years.