Raytheon - Great People but Direction is the Question | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Great People but Direction is the Question"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in El Segundo, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Raytheon has some of the best people I ever worked with. The intelligence and creativity is unmatched. The perks and salaries paid are very competitive. The work culture is supportive. You do have to find your career path there and it is recommended that you find a mentor that can give you advice and push you to get your goals.

Cons

Limited resources due to outsourcing slowed reaching yearly goals. It was always a battle with limited budgets to get things done. Working with bright and enthusiastic vendor teams was not enough sometimes. Management seems to think technology can be developed by anyone off the street and get the same quality. Creativity to modify COTS tools to solve requirements where they were not originally designed to do that type of work gets old and frustrating really fast. The errors and problems from this approach can sometimes waste more money than it saves. Management needs to listen to good technical people for solutions instead of worrying about process so much. As for growing your career, getting training and education to grow your skill set has become limited and unavailable. Once you leave Raytheon, this lack of current world training really sets you back.

Advice to Management

Upper Raytheon Management does promote an inclusive work culture and a vision where they bring products to support our armed forces and civilian commercial customers. However, in the last 5-10 years, that management has turned to outsourcing and bottom line thinking which for a vital segment of our nation's security. Good people was let go for inexperienced vendors who tried in vain to fill the gap. We talk about keeping out high technology resources here at home. It is time that management support the good people who work hard and sacrifice for our nation instead of worrying so much about the shareholder. Quality of the products suffers when expertise is not kept on board. Something has to be said about subject matter experts being retained in house which gives you a competitive advantage in our competitive aerospace business.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Raytheon"

Former Employee - Configuration Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Configuration Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You wok 9/40 which means you have every other friday off and work 9 hours the rest of the days for two weeks. The pay is good.

Cons

They are are not nice people when it comes to laying off and the reorganize all the time. In 5 years I had 7 different Supervisors. Training is very mininal and you never know what the right answer is. they say they want new ideas but if you go against what they have decided is the "best" one. You are wrong. Many people are over worked, working weekends and off fridays to keep us since they laid off so many people.

Advice to Management

You need to train more. You need to listen to your employees. When you are laying off why not move them to other spots in Raytheon instead of losing the talent and the security clearances you paid for.

"Get ready to work 90+ hours in a single week and get paid for forty."

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Raytheon pays pretty well in terms of your annual salary; however, you have to work so many uncompensated hours that the hourly wage isn't very good.

Cons

The work/life balance is terrible. Some people have been required to work as much as 97 hours in a single week. If you have a complaint, HR automatically and reflexively sides with upper management against the lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Give the low-level IIS employees back their profit sharing. Don't dismiss or retaliate against employees who bring forward an issue. Pay employees for their overtime.