Raytheon - Software Engineer right out of College. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Software Engineer right out of College."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Marlborough, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Marlborough, MA

Pros

- benefits
- pay is decent (including bonus)
- work and life balance is great here - managers are more than willing to work with you
- ability to travel

Cons

- The location is horrible, making for a terrible commute (unless you live right in Marlborough)
- Promotions are generally given every 2 years; working harder than others doesn't guarantee a promotion
- work is not exciting
- management (especially in Marlborough), isn't competent.

Advice to Management

- better communication to employees
- if you implement a CMMI process, follow it. Don't just use the "CMMI" rating as a tool to win bids
- treat employees with more respect;
- PM's need a manager that overlooks their work and makes appropriate changes, as necessary

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Stable place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Overall it was a stable employment, good benefits, interesting work, ability to work on different projects. Mostly smart engineers, decent management

Cons

The biggest con I have is with how promotions are given. When I was up for a promotion from E1-->E2 I was told "you are already doing the work of an E2, and we are going to start giving you E3 work, but you don't make enough money to be promoted from E1 to E2."

I received max. performance metrics in every category and exceeded all performance goals but "didn't make enough money" to be bumped up. It seems that promotions were strictly based on time-served and not performance.

Advice to Management

Make promotions merit based, not solely based on seniority. Also give Raytheon 6-sigma a break...We were forced to make up projects to be "certified" since it was a metric passed down...

"Take The Good With The Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA

Pros

Flexible time off. Not much penalty for doing a mediocre job. (see corresponding comment below) There is not much change either good or bad. The job that you need to do to get a good review is pretty well defined. The people are normal, descent people.

Cons

Not much reward for doing a great job. (see corresponding comment above) I find it very boring. It seems to be impossible to get a promotion unless you are a member of the chosen few. It's not based on your actual performance, more on how much people like you. It just kind of stays the same and as long as nothing rocks the boat. Alot of teh technology is pretty outdated and will make you less valuable in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

I think management is getting what they want so there is no motivation for them to change.