Raytheon - Raytheon is an excellent place to work and learn for student interns. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Raytheon is an excellent place to work and learn for student interns."

Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Intern in Burlington, MA

Pros

I would recommend doing an internship with Raytheon over the summer because you will get real work to do, you will not just file papers and make copies. Also, Raytheon offers an excellent intern program where you are exposed to all of the various business functions and what they do. Very good for students!

Cons

As far I can see, I did not have any bad experiences at my summer internship. All of the employees were very nice to me and always willing to help me. I would say the biggest con for me is just the commute and the traffic on the way to work.

Advice to Management

If I were to give advice to management I would say to make sure they include their summer interns more in work that is going on. It is an excellent way for the student interns to get exposed to the company and believe that they work that they are doing is meaningful.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "marginally OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Some opportunity, salraies are OK.

Cons

raises are hard to get. Too structured, too much time card stuff

Advice to Management

Need more freedom to be creative.

2. "Good place to work for aerospace and defense industry"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Generally, most of the software system programs tend to be command and control oriented with very little web technology related work. Most of my peers were generally very competent with some being extremely sharp and creative. On low intensity programs, the low-level managers were usually very supportive of a balance between work and life. For me, most of my experience has been in using core language features of Java and c++ in application servers. Corporate leadership appears genuinely concerned for the employee quality of life and work and tries to seek a good balance between it and meeting the customer's needs. The company benefits are very good as far as medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and 401k.

Cons

Depending on your background, you could be pigeoned-holed into one type of position, with very little chance of cross functional opportunities, as in going from software test engineer to software engineer and vice versa. Since the company is heavily dependent on defense spending, there is usually a strong correlation between cuts in defense spending and a lack of jobs. On high intensity programs where the delivery schedule is tight, expect to work alot of overtime. Business level and program level management tends to be more focused on meeting bookings and profits with very little time spent interacting with the employees.

Advice to Management

Program level leadership should interact more often with employees and demonstrate a genuine interest in improving the overall climate of their program. Personal communications, not surveys, are more likely to reveal what works and what doesn't work.