ReachLocal - Products work well, pay is terrible and no management support | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal

"Products work well, pay is terrible and no management support"

Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY
Current Employee - Interactive Media Consultant in Lake Success, NY

Pros

Products work really well and the company tries to introduce improvements to the product line regulalry. They also offer a decent support system for sales efforts

Cons

Management does not encourage performance in any positive way unless you are the top performer. The envirenment is negative. The pay is terrible and the salary goes backwards after the first year. It is basically a telemarketing job

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, create an encouraging envirenment for people to WANT to come to work. Don't slave sales people to their desks day in and day out, let them get out in the field and prospect

Other Employee Reviews for ReachLocal

1. "My experience thus far has been excellent."

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you want to work with the best and brightest in the industry, ReachLocal is a great place to work. I have a great deal of faith that this company is headed in the right direction. Everything that was promised to me prior to my hire has been fulfilled and the executive leadership is competent and inspiring. The day to day responsibilities are interesting and never the same. I really feel that I am making a significant impact on our business through each one of my actions, a feeling that I had not experienced in my previous role at another company.

Cons

One of the downsides of working at ReachLocal is the low base salary for non-sales hires. I took this job knowing this and believed in the potential for growth as I turned down an offer that was nearly 70% higher. Almost a year and a half later, my salary is much better but still not competitive with other firms in the marketplace.

2. "Work Hard, Consult & Educate....and there is no better place to work!"

Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I have been with ReachLocal for just shy of 3 years. As with any sales jobs there have been ups and downs in my career at ReachLocal. However, there have been far more "ups" than "downs." ReachLocal arms with you the best technology and support in the market. Bottom line, we offer on so many levels something that our competition does not. With that mindset and the mindset of really educating your customers and consulting them on their digital needs you can make a wonderful living at ReachLocal. The best technology, smart efficient sales people = happy customers.

Additional Pros -
    - The atmosphere at ReachLocal is laid back. If we remember what we are doing, helping local business with digital advertising needs, its FUN!
    - ReachLocal will give you the tools and technology necessary to grow your customer base, however it's really up to you how you want to do it. ReachLocal gives you the freedom to really be an entrepreneur in how your build and sustain your business. Help is always available.
    - At the end of the day, I think most sales people just want to feel confident that the product they are selling is effective. You don't have to even think about that with our products, specifically I would say our pay per click & display programs. I walk into every appointment/customer I have knowing that I work for a company that provides the very best that is available.
    - This company is innovative and one of first in the marketplace to provide additional products and services to our customers. It's nice to be with a company that is setting the pace instead of trying to keep up with it!

Cons

I have said since the day I started to today - ReachLocal is the hardest job I have ever had! If you aren't looking for a career where you have to work hard, stay focused, be on your toes and provide the best service ever to your customers, ReachLocal is not the place for you. It's a very competitive marketplace and although we have the best products and services available to local business, its often times a difficult conversation/sales process. Stick with it....they will understand. Consult, be knowledgeable and LISTEN to your customers. They will in turn listen to you and understand...but it's tough, especially in your first year - year 1/2.

Additional Cons -
    Management doesn't mean that they know more...luckily you can reach out to other IMCs across the country that have gone through or are going through the exact things you are. Managers are helpful in some cases, but learn from the people that have done your job and had huge success doing it!

Don't work for ReachLocal if you don't have time to work hard and work longer hours, especially in your first year - year 1/2!

Advice to Management

Continue to give your staff the freedom to build their business with the strengths that they have in the way they want to build it! Just like we do, management should reach out to other successful managers to determine what they have done/are doing to have a successful office/area and keep it fun! It's digital marketing!!