ReachLocal - A Great Company In A Crowded Space. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ReachLocal

"A Great Company In A Crowded Space."

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at ReachLocal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ReachLocal's top notch training will help make you an expert in the Internet Marketing space regardless of your starting point. 5 minutes prior to my job interview 5 years ago I Googled PPC and now I know internet marketing and social networking well enough to land just about any job in the space.

Not that I have any plans to look for a different job. ReachLocal is a great place to work and I generally look forward to coming into the office each morning. Beyond all that, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else because going with any other SEM company would just feel like stepping backwards.

ReachLocal has amazing products to sale, sure, but what I like most about the company is that they are always looking towards the future. In a space that moves amazingly fast, it's comforting to know that you work for a company that's committed to staying on the cutting edge.

Cons

Lets be frank, this space is over crowded and very competitive. Being a good sales person with the best product isn't enough. You will Work at this job. That is work with a capital W. If you aren't willing to commit to making the calls, pulling the doors and running the appointments that it takes to be successful then this isn't the job for you. They aren't going to hand you a book of business and they expect performance from their employees.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You keep giving us the goods and we'll keep delivering the deals.

Other Employee Reviews for ReachLocal

"Cut Throat Company"

Former Employee - IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) in Woodland, CA

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work for this company, you will gain all types of experience with pay per click advertisement. It is also a company that allows you to gain experience with outside sales. The company tries to be a progressive marketing firm, however they fall short of that.

You can make a lot of money here, but it will come from your sales, and not your base salary. Base salary for an IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) is $38K - $ 50K. The people that are making money at this company are the ones who were "grandfathered in" If you are just starting off at this company, you will have a rough time just keeping your job for the first 6 months, let alone making any money. Stress City!

Cons

The company is a micromanagement juggernaut. It is a cut throat type of company. During my time there I seen 12 people let go in one office in a four month period. That was due to not making their numbers.

The goals that they set are extremely high, and they don't give you a lot of time to obtain those goals. You either make it or you don't.

Although there is an outside sales component to the position, unless you are an experience IMC (Internet Marketing Consultant) that is producing results, you will have to come to the office everyday, and after you go to your appointments, you will have to come back to the office.

This company watches you like a hawk. If you are not producing super high results within 2 months, you will find yourself looking for a new job.

Unless things have changed, Reachlocal does not provide you with paid vacation time.

The stress is high to produce here! And they are all about the bottom line..no exceptions.

Advice to Management

Respect your people and give them a real chance to succeed!

"Upheaval and mixed messages galore!"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Plano, TX

I worked at ReachLocal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, diverse work environment, colocated with the Sales Headquarters which means pilot programs and first opportunities to sell new products.

Cons

Seems like the brand is schizophrenic, many positions are duplicated across Vertical Teams, Business Development, and Local Sales Teams. They restructured recently and appear to be thinning the workforce through salary/compensation changes and general disregard of the discontent in the sales office.

Advice to Management

Yes, it's good to try pilot programs. But upward of 5 pilot programs tested on one team only pollutes the results - and trains the sales team to expect new rules every week.