ReadyTalk - I really enjoy my job here - there are drawbacks, but I still love it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ReadyTalk

"I really enjoy my job here - there are drawbacks, but I still love it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at ReadyTalk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very non-corporate atmosphere, great work/life balance, good philanthropy. Benefits are great - insurance premiums are paid 100% by the company for the entire family. I really like my team and love my job and I'm actually excited to get up in the morning to go to work. When I'm away on vacation, I actually miss my job and my work friends! I get a lot of latitude to make decisions, which I really appreciate. I'm not micro-managed at all.

Cons

Some departments have no advancement potential, so no room to be promoted for many people. Must rely on merit-based raises to advance salary, even if you take on more responsibilities. Some departments seem to have "cliques" and there's a feeling of elitism among some of the engineering managers that leaves a bad taste for many people. Some of the employees, especially younger ones that have never worked in a typical corporate environment, act very entitled.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better consistency across departments. The CEO doesn't think job titles matter, but they DO. There needs to be a path for advancement, no matter how small the department. Stop fostering the elitism culture that is growing in engineering and tell everyone to grow up.

Other Employee Reviews for ReadyTalk

1. "ReadyTalk is a great company to work for. The people are fantastic and the leadership is excellent."

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

ReadyTalk was voted the best company to work for in Colorado multiple years in a row. Here are some reasons why-

1) The ReadyTalk culture is like a family. Everyone is approachable and supportive.

2) ReadyTalk has great leadership. All the way across the board. From the CEO to the Directors to the Product Managers to the Scrum Masters to the Direct Managers. They are always able to make time to speak with anyone in the company. I often spoke with all of them.

3) The CEO and ReadyTalk supports employees in all kinds of ways. He encourages charity work, he gives us unlimited amounts of food and drinks, he encourages exercise and supports gym time.

4) The company started a ESOP

5) Free Eco-Pass Unlimited RTD

6) I really liked the Gym membership reimbursement. Plus they have corporate deals with the two best gyms downtown.

7) Good pay and vacation

8) One of my favorite aspects of working at ReadyTalk was the complete support of collaboration. Everyone is always working together, talking together, figuring out solutions together. They also can be seen just catching up and saying hello. Everyone seems to make the time to connect.

9) ReadyTalk sponsors employee charity work big time. I was able to put in 5 full paid days of charity work while I was at ReadyTalk. I had enormous support from the other employees, at the Forzability ride I had over 35 people participate 2 years in a row. We also did habitat for humanity, Christmas gifts for kids and created a room for women and children.

10) A huge amount of ReadyTalk sponsored parties. Just a really fun group in general. So much laughter and fun.

Cons

1) I wish they had more offices in other areas in the United States. My wife was relocated to the Bay Area and I no option but to leave this fun group. Though they did give me three goodbye parties which involved lots of food and drinks.
    2) Too much Dove chocolate, chips and nuts available. You have to be really disciplined or you will have to exercise just to support your food habit.

Advice to Management

It would be cool if there was more chance for title improvement. For instance, instead of everyone being a QA engineer, maybe add a senior QA engineer title for those who have proven themselves.

"Not a meritocracy, not for everybody."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

The CEO is awesome. Very smart, great guy. The 1st line engineering managers are sharp, trying to do the best they can. Very flat organization. Easy access to talk to CEO, CTO, VP, etc.

The team is filled with unique individuals.

Pretty diverse, good group of people. The company is very invested in being cool and having a cool culture. Office above the bookstore in downtown Denver. The free food -- and of course beer -- is excellent.

ReadyTalk is testing employee's personality and trying to get a good cohesive team with different strengths. I like the idea, would like to see more effort placed here.

Cons

Lacking in leadership, software architecture, and planning. Processes are being put in place, but everything is driven by the product and marketing teams. This has led to frustration amongst engineers about the control we have into the product. As multiple engineers have left ReadyTalk, the question of developer feedback/input has been brought up. Unfortunately, management has strengthened their resolve that they know best. Sadly, I do not see this improving.

The company is brimming with good ideas, but lacks a killer instinct to test or try them out. I assume this is because we don't have enough time. The lack of time is our fault. Deploying code is slow. The build is understood by only a few people. Debugging small things take a non-trivial amount of time due to lack of documentation.

The 20% time is more of a candy bar for engineering. Very little has made it out of "labs" into the product. Strangely, product marketing was told NOT to watch the presentations -- which is odd, why not let engineering show what is possible?

There is a cult of personality at ReadyTalk, following seniority. Occasionally, someone endowed with this power will throw their weight around when they're in over their head in technical details instead of having an architectural discussion. That's not to say they're wrong all the time either, but that's not a culture of good software engineering practices.

Pointing out problems in processes, infrastructure, or even code will not endear yourself to senior management (VP and/or CTO). Strangely, even talking with coworkers about problems could be seen as "stirring the pot". Its best to not complain about problems, otherwise you may find yourself marginalized or fired.

Advice to Management

Live up to the mores and values of the company. Trust your employees. Speak with integrity. Be transparent. A mentorship program would go a long way.