Red Frog Events - A fun, up and coming company who takes "work hard, play hard" to heart. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Red Frog Events

"A fun, up and coming company who takes "work hard, play hard" to heart."

Former Intern - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the benefits, flexibility, autonomy- Red Frog really trusts their employees to get their work done in whatever style works best, and employees don't abuse that trust.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Red Frog Events Response

Mar 12, 2014 – Assistant Director of Tadpole Development

Thank you for your post. We’re glad you enjoyed your time at Red Frog and know your Red Frog Family is always here should you need anything! We appreciate you taking the time to help us ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Red Frog Events

"It's like they're running a reality show without cameras and it feels just as genuine as a season of the Kardashians."

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Frog Events full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office. There are employees here who are genuinely innovative and hard working. Work hours are very reasonable even though working late is the norm. I'm astounded by the creativity of certain employees whom I think the company's success readily hinges on.

Cons

The place runs on a very exclusive group of cliques who parrot each other for ideas. While that can be common in any work place it is particularly disturbing here because it goes against the very fundamental core of what is preached to interns. There's a perceived openness that is only razor thin. I spent a lot of time witnessing real innovations that were proposed by my peers or upper management that were stifled or sidelined under a long and unnecessary chain of command.

The idea of teamwork is betrayed by an unspoken mood of competitiveness between tadpoles. I witnessed many tadpoles become unnecessarily mean to each other in increasingly back handed ways. It was disgusting to find out that many of the perpetrators of such high school-level gossip ended up landing jobs on mere popularity. RFE is missing out on some talented people in favor of the "easy" hire. Please understand that I am not referring to myself and I don't think I was the best of my class (I wasn't the worst, all my feedback was excellent), If anything, I saw a handful of incredibly capable people get tossed out the door because they didn't spend enough time playing the social game.

They claim they are looking for "innovative new employees" but they really are only looking for very like-minded individuals who they can hang out with. It's like a mother who wants to be friends with their daughter instead of a parent. It seems like the corporate environment now endorses brown nosing and groupthink-- the opposite of what probably made this company so successful. While I don't think this was intentional with their hires, I feel it became the norm over time from a series of decisions that were "from the gut" and who would be better friends in the office than legitimately better and capable workers.

Advice to Management

While RF enjoyed a great head start in their market with recreational runs and have found a very successful transition with their music festival they run a serious risk of hurting their bottom line by stifling their need to innovate. They have more competitors now and their brand has become mixed with competition who have done a great job of catching up. I hope they find a way to recapture that fire in a bottle that made them so successful initially, but they can only do so by seriously reconsidering how they handle their current talent and how ideas shift through the company. Take a look at the reviews on this site; I don't think there's a coincidence that the earliest reviews are the best and consistently higher.

Furthermore, I hope somebody there is reading this and recognizes this is not an insult but a warning. There's a lot of reviews here that are bitter and mean spirited, but there's also a core problem they are touching on. There's great potential in this company and I feel it is getting squandered on nepotism. I hope they read this and spend more time addressing the issues listed above instead of trying to guess who typed this, why, or simply writing it off as the exception. I honestly don't think these perspectives are the exception, but ones that are held by a silent majority. I wish everyone there the best.

Red Frog Events Response

Mar 12, 2014 – Assistant Director of Tadpole Development

We appreciate you sharing candidly about your experience. We value your comments on innovation, teamwork and the event industry as a whole through your advice for the future. We take all ... More

"Waited a year to write this review"

Former Intern - Event Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Red Frog Events as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, RFE was one of the best, hardest, most incredible and unique experiences of my life. For a long time, I was extremely bitter that I didn't get to move forward with them because I kept comparing every future employer to them.

The benefits are some of the best you'll find: Free, all expense-paid travel (where you still earn miles lol), unlimited paid time off, snacks, beer, weekly lunch, field trips

Some of the people are incredible: They're funny, genuinely care about you and your future, talented and hardworking. Surround yourself with these people and learn from them. They're not kidding when they talk about their candidate pool, it is narrowed down from thousands, these are the best of the best, take advantage of it while you can.

The office: Obviously, if you know anything about RFE, you know about the office. Tree house, slides, awesome conference rooms, swings, zip line, GYM, toys, video games, fooseball, ping pong. Anything your ADD, twentysomething mind can think of, they have.

The opportunity to try and experience a lot of different things at once. Where else can you work on things like social media at the same time as volunteer management or vendor relations? You get to try a lot of things to find what you really enjoy. You're not presented with that chance in many places.

Cons

The noncompete is absurd. It's not mentioned often, but you're banned from working in ANY event that's remotely similar to any of the events they've launched, or are planning to launch for TWO YEARS. Which includes everything: music festivals, obstacle course races, night/glow runs, relay races, beer festivals, and whatever else they decide to launch.

Aside from that, the cliques will be the death of you. At first, you'll all be one happy internship class, and it will literally be the greatest few weeks of your life, but then you'll realize it's high school all over again, only worse. The cliques run everything, where you're going out for lunch, who is having the parties that weekend, the nights you go out after work, which might not sound bad, but if you don't want to be alone the remainder of the internship, you have to play along, always. And on site? The cliques are even worse, good luck trying to separate that group of 5 girls to get them to do anything productive.

The divide between frogs and taddies is insane. At first it starts and you think you're all okay, but then you'll notice most of the frogs don't get close to the interns at allllll (which I guess I understand since they're in and out every few months - but at least make an effort sometimes). There are certain frogs who will change your life and you will love, Harrison, Tom, Amanda, Sarah McG, Tiffany, to name a few. But then there are some who you thought you were friends with, but once that internship ends, don't expect to hang out or receive responses to your texts anymore. It's pretty rough.

It's a revolving door. In my time, 4 frogs and 1 tadpole quit to pursue other career moves. I've heard of at least 3 more frogs quitting since then. It's not all it's hyped up to be and it's clearly not for everyone.

The time after the internship is hard. I remember the first week I was extremely depressed. It's hard because you put in SO much work. RFE becomes your life for a few months, and then to have it come to such an abrupt hault is difficult (I was literally working until I turned in my laptop on the last day - sending out final emails and such - and was even contacted three times after my internship for help). The absolute worst part about it is I'm still friends with everyone on social media sites, so I constantly see RFE in my life, even if I don't want to anymore. Be prepared for that as well, since you did make some actual friends that work there, you'll never be away from their adventures.

PS. The Red Frog 15 is a very real thing - avoid coffee, snacks and food like the plague. It's everywhere.

Advice to Management

Have future positions that are only available for past tadpoles. You already know their work ethic, and if they're willing to come back to RFE (which you would be surprised just how many would prefer to never step foot back into 'Camp Red Frog' again), you might have something good on your hands.

Put more consideration into who you are hiring out of every class. As a class, there were certain people who we knew would get hired just because of their popularity, which is pathetic. Some of the people who were chosen by you were so extremely surprising that NO ONE out of a class of 50 saw it coming.

You do have a great thing going for you obviously. You are continuously growing, taking over every market you decide to join. You know what you're doing, from marketing to benefits to events. These issues have been around for years, and honestly, I feel like at this point it's time to realize that as successful as Red Frog is, it will always be a revolving door of drama, but at least you'll have free beer and incredible adventures along the way.