Red Hat - Almost as good as it gets! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Red Hat

"Almost as good as it gets!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Raleigh, NC
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Team effort and the promotion of it.
Perks - free snacks, dinrks, breakfast
Freedom - No management breathing down your neck. No punching a clock. No babysitting.
Strong personalities
Ownership
Family Friendly

Cons

Strong personalities - I place this as both pro and con, because strong personalities can go either way:
Some are too confident to realize their mistakes.
Some are so confident they are in a position they don't seem to be qualified for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment
    Mid-level management is involved and responsive
    Real value is placed on software
    Development staff is very talented
    Transparency is a priority
    Embraces technology market shifts
    Contributes to the community

Cons

Rapid growth is stretching management and infrastructure resources
    Limited career growth in some departments

Advice to Management

Making good progress, but walls between departments still exist and hamper rapid progress.

"Fast paced, innovative & collaborative and employees have a good work/life balance in my view."

Current Employee - Branding Specialist [ I Just Left This Department of Unhappy Old Hags] in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, innovation, employees are encouraged to speak up. Red Hat has a dynamic global work force and hires the top talent no matter where they live in the world. Employees are not micro-managed and are empowered to utilize their skills and experience in their fields.

Cons

RedHat's corporate "branding" team thinks they run the company and members step out of their boundaries to monitor every social post or opinion of employees who blog, tweet or just have opinions they express on a social media platform. I'd bet someone in branding will read this review and attempt to stick their 2 to 4 cents in on my post.

Management might be too focused on wall street and keeping analysts happy at times;

Advice to Management

RedHat has been a huge growth company and is still growing at 20% per quarter and at some point it would be nice if management didn't make every decision based solely on the stock price and catering to the analysts on wall street.

Management should remind the branding team they are a 'support' division and are not the corporate police on employee views, opinions and thoughts. Management would be better off if Red Hat's branding team members would 'take a chill-pill' or to be honest, "go pound sand".