Red Hat - Political | Glassdoor

"Political"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Red Hat full-time

Pros

Good benefits, hard working colleagues and autonomy

Cons

Politics. The company (at least back office functions) is full of back biting politics between and within departments. Everyone is afraid of losing power and fights for position. A lot of smoke and mirrors without much truth to employees or higher management. Many in leadership are checked out and are more concerned about positioning themselves outside of Red Hat instead of focusing on what needs to be done within their departments.

Also, lip service is paid to growth and moving within the company but for many in back office functions, to move is almost impossible because managers will limit your mobility to not lose the headcount number.

Collaboration, trust and transparency are buzzwords that are not lived out in practice at Red Hat.

Advice to Management

Clean house in your second and third level "leaders". They are not being honest with you and are only interested in advancing personal agendas. They are playing a chess game with you and each other.

Invest in your people - even those in cost center departments. Allow those with a vision to blossom instead of allowing them to be silenced in the interest of politics.

Other Employee Reviews for Red Hat

"Solutions Architect"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Red Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good environment to learn new technologies and be a part of a company who sets the bar for technology.

Cons

There are a lot of conflicting egos. But, that is pervasive in any high-tech company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Red Hat provided me with a wonderful internship opportunity!"

Former Intern - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Red Hat as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only a part of the company for four short months but during that time I got a great taste of what working at Red Hat entails. The culture is truly something a college grad dreams of working in! There is never a dull moment or boring day. The team does a lot together, not only in the workplace but after hours as well. It is somewhere that makes everyone, even the interns feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Since finishing my internship with Red Hat I have not been able to find an entry level position on the business side of things. That is not really a "con" but it would be amazing to land a full-time position with such a great company.

Advice to Management

More entry level positions available and a way to notify interested applicants when positions become available would be great!