Reliance Standard - The job that made me lose faith in the corporate world | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Reliance Standard

"The job that made me lose faith in the corporate world"

Former Employee - Group Sales Representative
Former Employee - Group Sales Representative

I worked at Reliance Standard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oportunity to make great money if you hit your sales goals - Usually around $2M in premium, first year, in the midwest.

Cons

I was told on a regular basis... "Do whatever it takes to sell new business, but don't cross the line." The "mysterious line," however, eluded definition from anyone in management. After two successful years I noticed a pattern and it seemed to happen when I was at 90-95% of my sales goal, and always on the last few important cases of the year.

The underwriter, to whom our office reported, would "turn the faucet off... and I mean completely off!" I would present case after case. Good cases! Profitable - field-underwritten cases, only to be told "no." No explanation - Just, "no."

After speaking with a colleague about this I finally discovered the problem. Apparently "the infamous line" I wasn't supposed to cross, included providing monetary incentives to my underwriter. I was shocked and sickened. I didn't think this type of practice could exist in such a heavily regulated industry.

After bringing this to my Regional Manager's attention everything changed overnight. Believe it or not, he was more concerned about "who told me" than he was about the fact that it was actually going on right under his nose. Hmmmm I still wonder why?

In less than two weeks I was asked to resign. They also refused to pay me $5,300 in earned commission for the same month. I was glad to part company, but disenchanted and disappointed to say the least. My morals and values and this corporate culture were not compatible!

Advice to Management

Management should stop turning a blind eye to what I later learned is common practice at RSL.

Other Employee Reviews for Reliance Standard

1. "Reliance"

I have been working at Reliance Standard full-time

Pros

Employees are treated fairly and with respect

Cons

long hours are required to get the job done

2. "Service is terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Reliance Standard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

typical work place.

Cons

Terrible management and executive team. Does not support employee's . business model consistently changing. Good at keeping employee's in the dark about process and change

Advice to Management

complete overhaul of customer service department. especially the executive leading it