Rent-A-Center - hhhhhhh | Glassdoor

"hhhhhhh"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay, weekly pay, good benefits

Cons

Mandatory 48-50 hours a week, even females are required to lift and move furniture, drive company vans and box trucks.

Advice to Management

you should really consider maybe a 45 hour work week, and maybe allowing stores in bad neighborhoods to close when all the other stores in area close.

Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center

"A place where you can learn many things on the job"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Aurora, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good communication from corporate down to stores.
    Good benefits as far as health, 401k, employee discounts.
    Overtime pay is included for the 8-10 hours of overtime that you need to work.

Cons

48-50 hours for hourly wage employees are non negotiable.
    Salary employees are told they get to work 40 hours, it actually becomes 50-60.
    High turnover rate with upper management, In the four years I was there I went through 5 different district managers.

Advice to Management

Show stability with management, its hard to focus behind a Regional Managers or District Manager's vision if they aren't going to be around for long.

2. "Intense physically demanding job, avoid if you don't want to get hurt OTJ"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can buy cheap used appliances, furniture, or electronics for yourself.

Good, friendly co-workers

Cons

Intense lifting of furniture, appliances, or equipment. Often disregarding safety for speedy drop-offs and pick-ups. OSCA would hit the roof if they saw what happens there.

Management couldn't care if you live or die. You are expendable and will be replaced if you can't perform.

You are also a bill collector and may have to resort to making house calls and recover the merchandise if the customers lapse. I don't have a problems with it, but this won't be in the description of your job until you start working.

Cleaning dirty appliances. I found roaches and others bugs and old food in ovens, fridges, and furniture. Very gross and messy.

I was hurt on the job after they hired a 98 lb. girl to lift TV's and other merchandise they weighed more than her. I had to recover on workman's comp for about 9 months and came back to the store being closed and the district manager never returned my calls to go back to work.

Advice to Management

There's no advice you can give to fix a company that's grueling and back-breaking work.