Rent-A-Center - A great place to learn about the quality of your life versus that of RAC's customers. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rent-A-Center

"A great place to learn about the quality of your life versus that of RAC's customers."

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Huber Heights, OH
Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Huber Heights, OH

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay starting out. You WILL get overtime. There is also holiday pay associated with overtime as well. Benefits are also quite decent, but nothing fantastic as compared to some similar companies.

Cons

Working a MINIMUM of 48 hours a week.
Expected to continuously run past due customers.
Deliver products regardless of weather conditions.
See some of the most inhumane things imaginable in customer's houses. (Bed Bugs, Roaches, ETC.)

Advice to Management

Create a position for new hire employee's where they spend more time managing customer account's rather than just delivering and servicing products to customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Rent-A-Center

1. "Be prepared to have your hands tied and thrown in the deep-end!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RTO is an exciting industry which RAC helped define. Entry-level employee pay is above average. There are many opportunities for advancement within the store-level.

Cons

Manager pay is below standard. The bonus structure is developed to lessen the payout. Absolutely NO work/life balance - you are lucky if you get a couple of hours a day with your family. Work-loads and expectations are over-the-top.

Advice to Management

• Coach the DVPs, RDs and DMs to understand that different market segments are exactly that - different.
    • Develop a more aggressive pricing strategy that focuses on the consumer demographics.
    • Lessen the quantity of "sales events" as the current every other week event demeans the value of a "sale".
    • Re-integrate RAC Acceptance into the local store - sales/BOR, income/expenses/profit, etc.
    • Consider a new co-worker timekeeping model that allows for fewer hours for all employees as to improve work/life balance.

"EVERYONE is a number at Rent A Center regardless of tenure"

Pros

Worked as a successful store manager for 14 years, offered DM job twice, went on Perform to Win trip to Bahamas and used to love going to work. Didn't mind at all to put in extra hours. THEN!!! Got a new RD during a reorganization. He treats everyone as a number, doesn't care a bit about employees. If your store has a slump hell have you fired, regardless of past performance and tenure. Heard through grape vine he himself was on an action plan, but DVP above him resigned so don't know what happened. He fired a DM who had 20 years experience because " he was too close to his store managers" This company is terrible to work for if you want a career, in being that you are treated like a nobody and demeaned and harassed daily by DM. If your a job hopper it's great. Work there making good money until your fed up with the communist treatment then quit. You are forced to do unethical as well as illegal things to get the job done. Was told to put Benefits Plus ($3.00 per week charge)on every agreement and don't tell the customer in order to hit company goal. Forced to raise early buyout price so we don't show a loss on final payment. Yes, even though customers pay 5 times what RAC pays for merchandise, the way they do depreciation you can show a loss on the customers final payment. Made to break collection laws all the time. Have heard many stories of DM's across the company sleeping with female store managers. I actually had a friend who was a DM and was fired because one of his employees ( who was sleeping with a DM) didn't like him. I have a binder full of threatening and harassing emails from DM that I'm taking to my lawyer. I had to get out of that company. If you want to work in rent to own, do yourself a favor and apply at Aaron's. no I don't work there now but have many friends that do who had previously worked at RAC. They all say its much, much better.

Cons

Very long hours. 9 am to 8 pm every day(except Sunday
    Treated like a number who is expendable
    Harassed and badgered by DM daily
    Only get promoted if you kiss upper managements ass.
    Have to disrespect and harass customers to meet company's ridiculous expectations.
    I can go on and on and on!!!

Advice to Management

Your management pool from DM and up is full of terrible managers who make your company a terrible place to work. Should do routine, TOTALY ANONYMOUS manager surveys of DM and RD's and see what's really going on in your company. I used to love to go to work until a new RD took over our area.