ResCare - Loved my co-workers in the nursing dept, loved taking care of the residents and getting to know them as individuals. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ResCare

"Loved my co-workers in the nursing dept, loved taking care of the residents and getting to know them as individuals."

Former Employee - Lpn
Former Employee - Lpn

I worked at ResCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taking care of the clients, job flexibility in my department, amazingly caring supervisor, plenty of time for paperwork and loved that my department was a "family".

Cons

The only con was it just didn't pay enough at the time I worked there otherwise I had a great experience as a nurse.

Advice to Management

Take care of the DSP's, they can make or break ya and they get put through the ringer sometimes. They are the first line of communication for a lot of clients and the majority of them deserve a raise.

Other Employee Reviews for ResCare

"RUN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at ResCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a paycheck, its a job, and it can be a stepping stone fro a real career.

Cons

Poor Management, unrealistic goals set for employees, not enough resources to complete tasks, only focus on the bottom line and not the client. Employees do not have room to thrive.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and consider whether the goals set are realistic.

"No training, unprofessional, no communication, negative work environment encouraged, consumer safety a concern"

Former Employee - Residential Manager in Jasper, IN
    Former Employee - Residential Manager in Jasper, IN

I worked at ResCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals are the benifit! Unfortunately upper management is more concerned with revenue

Cons

Work over 16 hr shifts, negative work environment, no support from management, no training no advancement

Advice to Management

My advice to current management is to restructure your operation! Hiring, training, back ground checks, consumer rights, staff rights/needs should be a priority! A positive work environment should be encouraged and should start at the top!! Staff need extensive training management needs extensive training, people need to learn to work together as a TEAM!!! All staff are there to support the consumers with daily living skills how can they do that when theoffice and field are severly understaffed. It is vital for an operation to have good positive people because they are the example for the individuals. It would seem that this operation could be streamlined by computerizing daily consumer information, this could be used for staff clock in/clock out procedures. Medication administration is a huge part of the staffs responsibility. I realize that a pyxis system is expensive , but at what point to you say consumer safety is more important than money. The final expense would probably be cheaper than all the money spent on paper and office aupplies. If you want a company that when I worked there I loved then please look into the people youhave, the people you hire and the quality of care you would want if one of the individuals were your family member.

1.train the staff management you have
    2. Be selective who you hire, make sure they have the skills, attitude, and understanding that they will be working with very smart and creative individuals- this is a failure on the human resources department as they have too many responsibilities to truely concentrate on hiring quality people instead of providing a body to fill an open position
    3 improve negative environment
    4.value you employee's who have dedicated their lives tothe Idindividuals
    5.higher more office staff-to prevent 1 person from doing or more people jobs
    6.-educate lower management of the responsibility they will be in charge of. It is a 24/7 job with no breaks!
    7. Educate staff/management/consumers on their rights and that rescare is a service that comes into THEIR homes.
    8.provide support to employees who need it when they need it- again an office issue from being understaffed
    9. Improve communication and quality of care from the nursing aspect. If you have 40 clients for 1 nurse how is that nurse supposed to provide quality care?
    10. Improve the hiring process for nursing to ensure the nurse has the qualifications and critical thinking she will need. I have had good nurses and some that who have no idea how to apply a band aid!!!

11...... MOST OF ALL PROVIDE, PROMOTE, AND EDUCATE A POSITIVE PLACE TO WORK!!! STAFF ARE WORKING WITH HUMAN BEINGS AND MUST SET THE EXAMPLE FOR INDIVIDUALS TO SUCCEED