ResCare - Management is a foreign concept to ResCare | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ResCare

"Management is a foreign concept to ResCare"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Case Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ResCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping people to become employable is a very positive emotional reward. I love working with people and helping them to better themselves. My position as a Talent Development Consultant allowed me to help my clients which made up for a small amount of the bad with the company. Working with a great co-worker creating a lasting friendship.

Cons

This company does not RESPECT or CARE about their employees. ResCare does everything possible to sabotage their employees. My orientation was a down and dirty of employee expectations. The small employee handbook that I was given did not define anything and left many things open to interpretation. The handbook does not tell employees how vacation time is accrued nor does it define what constitutes excessive absenteeism.

My direct supervisor lied to me in contradicted herself in many circumstances and talking to HR is a joke. I know first hand that there was racial and age discrimination that was/is still occurring within the company but nothing is being done about it. The people employed as management and supervisors are not qualified for their jobs. They were put into the jobs because the positions needed to be filled.

Direction in doing your job is/was a joke. In a two month span how vouchers were prepared was changed 6 times causing adverse client effects. However, management pushed the blame to the employees working directly with the clients. Training is nonexistent. You constantly hear that we are in a learning curve with the new contract handling WIA and was never given a time frame on when the "learning curve would end" so we could have gotten written up for doing things wrong since procedure changed on a weekly basis.

You can trust absolutely no one who works there. 99% of the employees that work there are out for themselves and could care less who they hurt or how they hurt them. I can say that those in management and supervisory roles have each others back. The employee has no where to turn. There is no employee advocacy with this company.

It appears that employees are expendable and no one will be working for the company for any length of time.
Management doesn't care whether an employee gets breaks or even their lunch hour but heaven forbid you have overtime. If you work through lunch you still get paid for 8 hours because under no circumstances can there be overtime unless preparing for an audit. I missed lunch while employed here many times and hardly ever took a break. It didn't matter to management that was happening.

Respect and Care is the biggest lie of all.You are told from day one that ResCare is based on Respect and Care for clients, co-workers, partners, and management. I think someone needs to look up the definition of Respect and Care because I haven't seen a lot of that happening.

In the area that I worked most everyone there was actively looking for another job. Very few if any employees were happy. There are two sets of rules. If you are a "pet" you can sit around and talk on your cell, walk around chatting with staff and basically doing nothing. If you are not you tow the line. You live in a tense scary work environment. During your probationary period management dreams up things to write you up for preparing their case to let you go.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to get together and create policy and procedure, develop training, make sure the employees are informed completely and not just give them enough information to cover yourself. Employees need to be trained to do their job and changes in procedure should not change on a weekly basis. Employees need to be informed of how time of is accrued and what is an excused absence and what isn't. Management needs to work with their employees and not against their employees. Management needs to be able to do the task that they are asking their employees to do so that they can answer questions when needed. Pay needs to be increased for the demands of the job. Learn what Respect and Care mean a work using Respect and Care for everyone. Life happens and sometimes you have no control of how your personal life is going. No one cares if you come to work and your child is in the ER or at school sick. No one sees that the weather could be different in areas further out from the office. Management has selective memory and lie.

Other Employee Reviews for ResCare

"Unionized Homecare job from an unorganized company"

Former Employee - Home Health Care Aide in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Home Health Care Aide in Olympia, WA

I worked at ResCare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to spend with clients, Self directed, Easy intuitive work, Better pay than minimum wage, Health benefits

Cons

Crazy scheduling, Difficult clients without much office support, Pay is still not enough to really live on

Advice to Management

Please respect when an employee says they cannot work on a day they are not scheduled, and communicate amoungst yourselves so I don't recieve a phone call from *every* supervisor on my day off.

"a lot for little pay"

Current Employee - Direct Care Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ResCare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

being able to interact with the individuals and taking care of them knowing that you doing it from the heart.

Cons

You will be literally taking care of the individuals. Non stop. But that also depends on who you have. The pay is minimum wage for direct support staff which is 7.25 and DSS is the ones thats doing most of the hands on work.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay if you want better quality work.