Employee Review

Former Employee

Fake worker rights?

Jun 5, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can work from home. Some extremely talented people on staff.

Cons

This organization has an extremely toxic and unprofessional environment. The management even revealed personal medical information of other employees to staff. As soon as I joined, I felt a the tension and anger of my colleagues. People were looking to get angry and blame long-term organization wide issues on whoever they could. In my first days I was yelled at over the phone by the leader of the organization, and received angry/aggressive text messages from colleagues who I had just met. It's interesting that the organization externally speaks so much about the plight of workers (restaurant workers), but internally has no consideration for its own workers. The leaders of the organization seem disconnected from the community they are supposed to represent and from the rights of workers overall. I'm not sure how an organization that is so internally disorganized, disconnected and treats it's employees so poorly could ever achieve it's mission to enhance the rights of workers in a completely different sector. The leader of the organization often speaks about how poor treatment of restaurant workers first poor experiences set the tone for their careers, especially since people often enter restaurant work quite young. Perhaps she should reflect on how this is also true within her own organization, for the careers of all the campaigners, organizers, admins etc. who work for her.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

ROC Chicago is fighting for Workers Rights!

Aug 23, 2021 - Community Organizer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid sick leave, paid maternity leave, helps restaurant workers attain better working conditions and wages!

Cons

It would be great to have cheaper insurance policy plans.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Inspiring but disorganized

Apr 23, 2022 - Organizer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clear, inspiring, shared mission, talent coworkers

Cons

Disorganized, high workload, high stress

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Restaurant Opportunities Center United.