"Fake worker rights?"

1.0

I worked at Restaurant Opportunities Center United part-time

Pros

Can work from home. Some extremely talented people on staff.

Cons

This organization has an extremely toxic and unprofessional environment. The management even revealed personal medical information of other employees to staff. As soon as I joined, I felt a the tension and anger of my colleagues. People were looking to get angry and blame long-term organization wide issues on whoever they could. In my first days I was yelled at over the phone by the leader of the organization, and received angry/aggressive text messages from colleagues who I had just met. It's interesting that the organization externally speaks so much about the plight of workers (restaurant workers), but internally has no consideration for its own workers. The leaders of the organization seem disconnected from the community they are supposed to represent and from the rights of workers overall. I'm not sure how an organization that is so internally disorganized, disconnected and treats it's employees so poorly could ever achieve it's mission to enhance the rights of workers in a completely different sector. The leader of the organization often speaks about how poor treatment of restaurant workers first poor experiences set the tone for their careers, especially since people often enter restaurant work quite young. Perhaps she should reflect on how this is also true within her own organization, for the careers of all the campaigners, organizers, admins etc. who work for her.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Receptionist"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Opportunities Center United part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility with hours, more like a family than co workers.

Cons

None that i can think of.

2. "Review of Event Planning Internship"

4.0
    Former Intern - Event Planning Intern

I worked at Restaurant Opportunities Center United

Pros

Passionate and inspirational leader and cause, learned a lot about event planning and time management

Cons

My internship was remote and we were never really made to feel like we were a part of the organization.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Restaurant Opportunities Center United.