Restoration Hardware - Good pay awful culture | Glassdoor

"Good pay awful culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is higher than similar jobs elsewhere. It has to be to keep people. RH is a tough place to work and there are many great people there. I worked under two VPs and three Chief Officers during my tenure. They were great but that is the exception, not the norm.

Cons

Gary is a youth obsessed narcissist who leads based on his implusive instincts and pitting people against each other. He sends emails to his executives in the middle of the night on a weekend and publically berates anyone who does not respond right away. He is always on the outs with one of his executives but his target rotates creating an environment where there are secret alliances and sabatoge. Gary is regularly HOURS late for meetings. The group sits in a room waiting for him. Before my first Gary meeting I was told to drink something, eat something and go to the bathroom because I might not get a chance to do any of those for the next 4 or 5 hours. He has held hundreds of people hostage for hours on conference calls where he goes off on tangents that have NOTHING to do with RH. On one such call, he called customer service of some pricey watch company to complain and then humilate the customer service rep about a watch he bought for his girlfriend. There were over 200 RH staff listening to this call. It was atrocious behavior but not uncommon. At offsites employees are encouraged to get on stage with Gary and the Chief Store Officer and give a speech on why they love RH. Many of these speeches are teary stories about family members with serious illness, or growing up in foster care, even childhood abuse. When other reviews mention RH being cult-like, this is what they mean. Gary and Demonty LOVE this. The more tears from both men and women, the better. Gary's insecurities run so deep he needs to believe everyone worships him. He constantly boasts that he does not read books. He compares himself to Steve Jobs and Martin Luther King Jr.

Advice to Management

Lose your arrogance. You sell cheaply made furniture from Asia based on designs you've snatched from other brands and artists.

Restoration Hardware2019-02-16
  1. "Enjoyed Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

enjoyed the people and management, product and overall experience

Cons

can get really busy while trying to sale product

Restoration Hardware2020-01-12
  2. "Gorgeous space"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

great people, great location.

Cons

Could have been better pay.

Restoration Hardware2020-01-06

Discover more reviews about Restoration Hardware.