Restoration Hardware - The Values Don't Add Up | Glassdoor

"The Values Don't Add Up"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

They hire great people all the time

Cons

They don't know how to keep great people

Advice to Management

This was taken straight from my exit interview survey: RH has the potential to be a great company for so many people. My experience with RH has been up and down. I truly believe they do hire the "right" people, but they do not foster an environment to keep those people. I honestly do envy the associates that have been with the company for an extended period of time and constantly exude happiness for their position. As a designer, my role was not properly explained upon being hired. This job was amped up to be a super energizing experience working on clients' homes. I really loved the idea of the fast paced environment. Once design training ended, the reality of the role set in. Constantly focusing on numbers is not at all energizing for anyone on the team. This really solidifies the retail minded environment that RH has constantly said it is moving away from. It is evident in the weekly goals, many disappointed talks from gallery leaders and field leaders, and retail hours that this is not yet a design environment. There were many projects I enjoyed working on, but the entire process was full of so much red tape that the entire creative aspect of the project was ripped out from the beginning. I believe in collaboration, but this was never encouraged between two designers, and, in some instances, looked down upon as this pulled away from driving business on the floor. I do understand that RH is a for profit company, but I am a firm believer that design grows projects and I was not given the opportunity to grow those projects in a healthy, creative environment. RH really needs to listen to their design team in innovating the way it looks at projects. Home visits are a must. Installs are vital to any client experience no matter the dollar amount. To grow a design business, one cannot work entirely remotely away the client's home. Reviews need to be by other designers. As a leadership team, Nashville specifically needs continuity amongst its members. On many occasions, leaders have spoken out negatively about other team members, other leaders, and other higher up leaders. It seems that the entire gallery acts differently when we have visits from home office and higher up leadership personnel. RH strives for quality in everything it does, but it only seems to reach for quality when the gallery is under close watch. This lowers morale amongst the team and causes confusion on how to perform on a day to day basis. On many occasions, leaders have been found whispering around corners, diverting responsibilities to associates due to being "busy", not giving full attention during a touch base, not being found when they are scheduled to be a floor leader, questioning associates calling out sick due to worrying about meeting a sales goal that day, and being buried in their computer on the sales floor so much that guests are left wondering who they can speak to. The leadership team should and does set the tone for the entire gallery. I have loved our combined gallery meetings with hospitality, and I hope that keeps growing. The hospitality team is a such a positive addition to the gallery, and I believe this location would have suffered moving into a larger building without it. Overall, I did learn many practices that I will keep with me for years to come, and I have made many friendships that I will cherish for a long time. RH has such a beautiful work environment, and I hope that this environment will one day foster a beautiful and thriving workplace.

Restoration Hardware2019-08-17
  1. "Enjoyed Company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

enjoyed the people and management, product and overall experience

Cons

can get really busy while trying to sale product

Restoration Hardware2020-01-12
  2. "Lots to learn for those interested in design"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can get involved in design projects soon after being hired, but there is so much to learn about the company's product line, the work is challenging. You have to know outdoor furniture, plumbing fixtures, rugs, bedding, tons of fabrics and wood finishes, lighting--so much! It's fun if you're interested.

Cons

Long days, and pressure to sell, although payment isn't by commission.

Restoration Hardware2020-01-23

Discover more reviews about Restoration Hardware.