Retail Properties of America - It’s all about attitude | Glassdoor

"It’s all about attitude"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people. The better your attitude the easier it is to get things done. The CEO and CFO aren’t hesitant to talk directly to the low man on the totem pole and provide direction, encouragement or seek answers to issues as the situation warrants. The department heads usually pick up the phone and are happy to assist. My direct supervisor has always expressed appreciation for the job I do and I have always felt that this was a sincere statement.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed quite a bit of anonymity in my position. However, that seems to vary from office to office. Some people express feeling micromanaged by their supervisors and express discontent when they are held accountable for actions they were instructed to take. I believe a consistency in this regard would allow employees to feel a sense of ownership in what they do and prevent people from passing the buck and finger pointing. Teamwork needs to be all encompassing. Not satellite offices versus corporate or Leasing versus Property Management.

Advice to Management

No system, hardware or SOP changes during budget season. Seriously throws us off our game. I would also suggest moving away from the current goal system as a standard of measurement for employee compensation. Or if you are to continue, the goals should be scrubbed for feasibility. An employee trying to accommodate a goal only to be told by another department that the goal is unachievable creates frustration and sometimes resentment. Otherwise I have enjoyed every moment spent with RPAI.

Retail Properties of America2018-09-24

Other Employee Reviews

"Excited about the future of the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Summer hours, flexibility with work when needed, jeans everyday! Small leadership team that slimmed down intentionally to forge the way ahead for the rest of the company. Management that obviously and honestly cares about every individual.

Cons

So much change going on (albeit positive) but the pace is a mile a minute! You have to be OK with constant change to work at RPAI. Also, the company has many remote offices so it's tough for employees in field offices to feel connected.

Advice to Management

"Keep transparency in communications - your continued efforts haven't gone unnoticed. We believe in the vision so keep doing what you're doing!"

Retail Properties of America2018-09-19
  2. "great summer houre, NO FLEX TIME or appreciation"

Current Employee - Lease Administrator in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Summer hours, good team and 20 days off

Cons

no flex time or work from home, oy yearly increase

Retail Properties of America2019-02-25

Discover more reviews about Retail Properties of America.