Revel Consulting - A rewarding role | Glassdoor

"A rewarding role"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

Other Employee Reviews for Revel Consulting

1. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More

"Revel is what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to explain the two different personas that have posted on Revel recently and why you get two extremes.

Persona 1: "Traditional Consultant" This person joins thinking Revel is a traditional MSFT "staffing company": Many traditional staffing companies in the Seattle area allow people to "coast" without supervision. I know people who work at Bridge Partners, Red Cloud, Matisia, Simplicity, etc. and part of the appeal is that these companies allow associates to rest on their laurels and do not challenge, or give associates the resources to stay relevant. Associates who join expecting to coast will not last long at Revel because Revel's projects are increasingly on the cutting edge of digital business transformation. The hard truth is that our clients want to work with associates who are relevant.

Persona 2: "Reimaged Consultant--Innovator" This person is about self-improvement and is agile. He/she takes advantage of the MASSIVE amount of learning and development offered by Revel, including $2,000/year, Community events, and volunteer for pro-bono work. Why? This person knows that in a digital world, we constantly need to reinvent ourselves and stay up-to-date on the latest processes and tools. This person will have opportunities once he/she rolls off projects or create their own opportunities. This person is also okay with the constant changes at Revel as he/she knows it is part of the new world--where everything is disrupted, evolving, and ambiguous.

Cons

If you are a traditional consultant and expect to coast on 30-40 hrs/week, this is not for you. You will hate it here and give a 1 or 2 star rating on Glassdoor when you leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay relevant, but communicate better. Keep Revelers up to date on new opportunities to plug in and evolve. Don't rely on managers to do this. Over communication is better than under communication. I also love our new work with Adobe. Let's continue to find ways to deliver end-to-end solutions.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our associates. We are excited to have a new cadence of communications for our associates. Please be on the look out for newsletters... More