Revel Consulting - A rewarding role | Glassdoor

"A rewarding role"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

Other Employee Reviews for Revel Consulting

1. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More

"Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, nice offices downtown Seattle (if you work at HQ), great clients (Microsoft, T-Mobile, etc.), autonomy when on projects. Consider Revel if you are in between jobs and need time for your job search or figuring out the next steps in your career, but dont stay there too long.

Cons

Revel claims to be a consulting company but most projects are still staff aug. You really have to know people at HQ and put a lot of efforts in networking to land the more interesting projects (which is hard when you spend all your time at the customers), as the staffing process is totally opaque to consultants. Also, PTO is absolute minimum (2 weeks), bonuses are rare, and salary raises very minimal. The bench policy is inconsistent at best (some consultants get full pay, others get 50%, and some unlucky ones nada).

Advice to Management

Introduce more transparency in the staffing process (consultants should know what projects are open and be able to provide input on which they are most interested to join), have the same bench policy for everyone (full pay would be nice - people still have a mortgage and bills to pay when on bench), and increase PTO to 3 weeks (seems like the norm in high tech companies). Stop calling every projects "consulting" when many of them are clearly staff aug.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly value hearing from both current and past employees! Revel does have a dedicated resource manager, who works with our associates and leadership to ensure... More