Reynolds American - Ignore the Negativity | Glassdoor

(showing 1 of 697)
Featured Review

"Ignore the Negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As mentioned in many prior reviews, the benefits are superb. The company is constantly on the edge of it's seat finding and thinking of new ways to take care of it's employees.

> Company Car - GMC Terrain ($150 is taken out of every other check to cover expenses. All servicing, fuel and anything else related to the vehicle is covered.
> Cell phone and at-home Internet service allowance.
> Company electronic devices including and at-home monitor and accessories for employee office.
> Covered moving expenses for new-hires and promotions
> and the list goes on...

Another big benefit is the support and guidance to help progress your career in the right direction. The company firmly believes in educating and providing the right resources to raise the bar of it's employees.

You also have the autonomy to manage your own territory while striving to achieve the company goals. With that being said, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck 5 days a week. In my personal experience, my supervisor trusts my business decisions and gives me the support I need, when I need it. That type of work environment is priceless to me and has truly allowed me to evolve into a more responsible, business-minded individual.

Cons

I titled this review , "Ignore the Negativity" due to the extensive amount of biased reviews that have rolled in over the past few months. Yes, it's no lie, we have had a busy year, but also quite the successful year. Additionally, the company provides us with multiple resources to help with the work load such as 3rd party merchandising support and identifying marketplace opportunities which helps take some of the load off.

To put it in perspective, the work of what was done by 4 reps, have been combined into one. Sounds daunting Right? Well before we jump to conclusion, our company has reduced the size of our assignments giving us the opportunity to visit our important accounts more frequently and for longer timeframes. In the past, one TM might have 250 stores while managing the brand's for 1 company, now that same TM has approx 100 stores managing all which means less drive time, more of a condensed impact and less stress. Work-life balance is a huge point for the company and I assure you, they will continue to find ways to best optimize this lifestyle.

In regards to promotions, yes they are rare. But not everyone can get promoted Right? The trick here is do your best and the best will come.

Advice to Management

It is our people that make our brands special and strong. Continue to put the employees first and we will continue to make the magic happen! In order to be more competitive, the pay structure needs to be revisited. There is about a 15k gap between our largest competitor for the TM role.

Other Employee Reviews

(showing 2 of 697)

Other Employee Reviews

(showing 2 of 697)
  1. "Director"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

investment in training and development. Tuition reimbursement

Cons

very conservative company culture. Must fit the mold to get promoted.

"Don’t believe the hype"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has nice perks ... but that’s about it
    1. Company car
    2. Decent pay
    3. Flexibility
    4. Trainings that helps across the board—- not just in tobacco
    5. The benifits are okay... having a copay would be a lot cheaper

Cons

This job is Extremely stressful! And the industry Is changing dramatically. I do believe once upon a time this was a great company with endless opportunities for growth.
     Based on my experiences, this is the true definition of a good ol boy in environment. Of course the company wants everyone to feel included so they post pictures and inspirational quotes during Black history month however when you’re amongst your peers you feel like the ugly stepchild. Don’t let your division have a meeting after hours, if you don’t drink... you won’t fit in... so you might as well chug a beer. The company paints a picture as if they want you to help your peers but it’s all a game . Peer rankings cause team members to turn against one another when in reality, you may just have a sucky area. Chain heavy areas are most successful and independent heavy areas are normally at the bottom of the totem pole. If your a natural born Butt Kisser or BSer this the job for you. Retailers aren’t happy anymore , margins are much lower, more products are forced on their fixtures, which makes your job more stressful....and you wonder why they jack up the prices when we turn our backs?Are we truely selling or are we just enforcing contracts 🤔??? When you try to do what’s right and help the retailers with monitoring the forced shipped mandated promos it only hurts your numbers so you may as well lie and just make them take everything . Some retailers love you but hate to see you coming —- so much of their money is trapped in product they have to have but doesn’t sell. I loved my job about 2 years ago, but now it’s a pain. Someone mentioned in another review “90% of our job is putting out fires” and that’s 100% accurate. The frustrating part is it’s only getting more stressful! Have you seen what fixtures look now? And they’re only cramming more product on it!
    My manager is actually awesome but I feel sorry for him, I would hate to have his job. They promote who they want to promote. They identify favorites, hold their hands, and place them in places to succeed. If you’re not a favorite don’t expect to get past the TM ROLE.

If you’re fresh out of college, or just needing some experience go for it. The culture is messed up and it’s gonna take a lot to un-mess it.... i would’ve used another word but that would’ve been inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Take a Chill Pill

Discover more reviews about Reynolds American.