Reynolds American - Enjoyed my time there, company treated me well, respected my thoughts and opinions at the time. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

"Enjoyed my time there, company treated me well, respected my thoughts and opinions at the time."

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Anyone who has worked in the tobacco industry knows how stressful it can be. But as long as you know that than make sure you work for the one company that treats you well and with respect. My time at RJ Reynolds was by far the best of any company I have worked for. Training was exceptional, very forward thinking. Pay and benefits for the job I did have been hard to replace.

Cons

Mostly outside the company itself. Stressful and very competitive. Fighting all the time with your competition, retailers, and anti- smoking climate.

Advice to Management

Realize that people are not always going to be open to constant relocation, and the answers aren't with every kid just out of college with a piece of paper.

Other Employee Reviews for Reynolds American

1. "Great place to get cross functional experience"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Exposure to top execs across all functions
    Ability to grow and move up

Cons

Not a lot of external hiring

"My RJ Reynolds Experience 5 years"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy Job with decent salary after you put in the time. This job is cake. You pretty much get paid decent to drive around and bs with people.Put up with management once a month and that's it.
    Pretty much have a guaranteed base bonus every year even if you half ass it.
    Company Car, benefits.

Cons

Management is pretty awful. They are all brainwashed into thinking an old way of thinking and they push that on everyone else. Even younger management is brainwashed into it. You will only get promoted if you are in a Urban Market.
    Management preaches 1 thing and expects another.
    They try to make the marketing and sales of tobacco products rocket science.
    No matter how much you grow you assignment and increase market share it does not matter. If you are not on the succession list you will not get a high achieves rating. Getting on succession list only happens if you are in larger market and completely suck some ass.
    Division management really is useless. I am not sure what they're roll is. It is supposed to be to develop and move reps up and ge them promoted but they all act like a babysitter.

Advice to Management

Figure it out. I mean really figure it out. Let your reps do their thing. You have hired a ton of smart outgoing fresh out of college students. Don't stifle them or keep them from using their smarts and intelligence.
    Get out of your old way of thinking. Your merchandising tactics are completely out of control. You get an inch and take a mile. You still haven't figured it out yet that merchandising does not sell your product or increase market share. It is probably the least important aspect of the tobacco industry and you treat it like it's the most important/