Reynolds American - Enjoyed my time there, company treated me well, respected my thoughts and opinions at the time. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Reynolds American

"Enjoyed my time there, company treated me well, respected my thoughts and opinions at the time."

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Anyone who has worked in the tobacco industry knows how stressful it can be. But as long as you know that than make sure you work for the one company that treats you well and with respect. My time at RJ Reynolds was by far the best of any company I have worked for. Training was exceptional, very forward thinking. Pay and benefits for the job I did have been hard to replace.

Cons

Mostly outside the company itself. Stressful and very competitive. Fighting all the time with your competition, retailers, and anti- smoking climate.

Advice to Management

Realize that people are not always going to be open to constant relocation, and the answers aren't with every kid just out of college with a piece of paper.

Other Employee Reviews for Reynolds American

1. "Great place to get cross functional experience"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Exposure to top execs across all functions
    Ability to grow and move up

Cons

Not a lot of external hiring

"Pay is "ok" 60+ hrs/wk; the company seems headed towards MICRO mgmt. as good DMs are headed out & replaced by micro mgrs"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits (i.e. company car, small reimbursement for cell/internet). If you had asked me 1-2 years ago I would have said the pros span across the board: salary, bonus, fun work environment, great work life balance, great perks, great management (DM level), great company (this was during the Susan Ivey era). Since then, the company has gone south, 8am - 7pm work days with no lunch aren't uncommon, "work/life" balance is now "work/work some more" and management spends more time being "yes men" to their higher ups than they do focusing and thinking about implementing ideas that can actually give results.

Cons

Freedom & work/life balance which was a major selling point for working here is gone, company seems to have 0 confidence in reps to do their jobs & have implemented systems to 'keep tabs' on where you are at all times during the day...take a lunch a 11:30 & everyone above you will know. As such most work straight through lunch.

Advice to Management

Honor your commitments to us, what happened to transparency? What happened to home/life balance? No one knows our territory's better than us, why do we need 5 different people telling us 5 different things & questioning us on "why is a sign there or there."

IF YOU SAY WE ARE OUR OWN CEO'S, LET US BE OUR OWN CEO'S! Show that you believe in our ability and integrity, and remove "big brother" from our systems; keep it for anything internal but don't allow it to be visible to everyone...I guarantee productivity will continually decline as more and more DM's spend more time watching that clock & our calendars, resulting in more phonecalls from DM's (Why weren't you here at "such & such time" or "why did you take this hour break at this time") these phone calls have become detrimental to productivity! Instead of strict focus on business, reps are more & more concerned with the computer, and every time we have to explain ourselves, it takes away from what we could be doing to improve business! The computer is a "reporting tool" with proper preparation analyzing reports, etc We could easily work without a computer for a week and be more productive by making calls & taking notes on paper.