Rice University - Research assistant at Rice University | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rice University

"Research assistant at Rice University"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The campus environment is beautiful, attractive and safe. The colleges are very friendly to each other. The research atmosphere is very good in our group.

Cons

Since Rice University is a pretty small private university. In our department, there are only few professors and the corresponding research areas are limited. In addition, the lab is not very competitive.

Advice to Management

Recruit more professors.

Other Employee Reviews for Rice University

1. "Good environment to work"

Current Employee - EMT in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - EMT in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, smart, nice people. Collaborative environment

Cons

This may be limited to students, but low pay?

"Disappointing Culture Shift in Recent Years"

Current Employee - Department Coordinator/Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Coordinator/Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rice University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a pretty campus with lots of trees and many new or remodeled buildings. All the students are super bright and there are involved in many interesting and creative and important research projects. The professors are on a first name basis with the staff, which is nice. There are many people here on faculty and staff that are warm and wonderful human beings.

Cons

1. Very unfair hiring practices. The best jobs, the highest paying ones, are awarded to friends of those already at the top here. I see it again and again.
    2. They also routinely hire in new people to take the place of somebody leaving and pay the new person more than the old one leaving ever was able to earn. Of course the employee leaving must train the new, more highly paid replacement.
    3. Very bad employee support in HR. HR is strictly about the university and not at all helpful to the employee. It was not always like this here! Again and again I have seen an experienced, dedicated employee suddenly have a problem that was no fault of his/her own, and when one goes to HR for help, the employee now is seen as THE PROBLEM! The university is all about covering itself.
    4. The culture here has changed so much over the past 15-20 years or so--what used to be a family taking care of each other is now a two-tiered system with the "royalty" at the top getting obscene salaries and benefits and the rest of the staff being treated as unimportant, except, of course, to their direct managers. It has become corporate and heartless at the top, unfortunately, and that is spreading downward.
    5. They have removed many of the perks that made employees here happy, such as free membership to the health club, reasonably priced parking, free parking for retirees, awards at 5 year intervals for longevity, lunches for same. And they do this while allowing all of us to witness the excesses the university practices on items such as PR, entertainment at the top, etc.
    6. Many divisions break the rules (and the law) by not allowing overtime pay. Supervisors will say to a new hire directly that "We do not pay overtime here. You can take comp time some other time to make up for it."

Advice to Management

What you do to protect yourselves from bad publicity and lawsuits are behaviors that, in my opinion, open you to employees AND students actually taking legal action against you. Take care of your staff, not just tenured people. Do the right thing. Take care of your dedicated people.