Rio Grande - Not a good place to work....period. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rio Grande

"Not a good place to work....period."

Former Employee - Copywriter in Albuquerque, NM
Former Employee - Copywriter in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Laid back culture, decent benefits, located in a great city. The pay can be good if you're moving in from a large city, but many of the associates and underpaid and angry about it. The dress code seems nice at first, but you have too many people that take advantage to the point of wearing shorts and flip flops - very unprofessional. It's a family business and the Bells are a great group of people.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for promotion. The business is managed through a team of business coaches, many of whom don't have the skills or abilities to lead. Also, because the structure is flat (you really won't have a boss), the political climate is like nothing you've seen since high school. The Marketing/Advertising department has several long-term employees who will stop at nothing (lie/cheat) to retain power if they don't "like" you. Completely unprofessional and management is so out of touch, they get away with it. Worst work experience of my life.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your marketing and advertising departments. Leadership rarely spends time in those departments and they are lead with incompetence by people afraid of what they don't know.

Other Employee Reviews for Rio Grande

"Refreshingly Responsible Company"

Current Employee - Marketing in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Marketing in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

The Coaches and Leadership team at Rio make every effort to advance their new (and current) employees. I've never heard of a company that has dozens of employees who have worked here over 2 decades. They treat every individual here with respect and understanding. If you want your voice to be heard, they will listen. I've implemented many changes in my department while holding my position for only 6 months. They truly help you grow. Tuition reimbursement, 401k match, bonuses, personal and business development opportunities

Cons

If you don't voice what constrains you, or what you'd like to change, it will not be recognized. Because of their lax "control" over employees, if you don't have self control, you may not be a good fit here. You make your own success based on your motivation.

Advice to Management

Employees who go above and beyond to keep things running smoothly have recently been verbally recognized and thanked, and that goes a long way.

"The best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

I’ve been at Rio Grande for more than 15 years. Rio provides excellent opportunities for those who are willing to challenge themselves, to create and to contribute. Rio lives by of our 15 Principles. Of course it’s a building full of human beings and we’re not all saints, but this company leads a more principled existence than any other I’ve ever worked in or seen. Our corporate culture (Participative Management) requires participation. If you need a structured, directed, hierarchical workplace to succeed, this isn’t the place for you. And, clearly, Rio is not for everybody (as you can see from some of the other reviews), but – if you have what it takes – there truly is no better place to work in New Mexico. The people here are talented, driven and collaborative. The challenges are big and the support to accomplish them is huge. Growth at Rio is accomplished by learning and taking on new responsibilities, not by seniority or title. Your authority is based on your subject matter expertise. The company practices open book and open door management. Financial progress is shared every month with all associates and anyone can speak with any coach or director at any time. Benefits are above average with inexpensive health insurance coverage (including vision, dental and alternative medicine), tuition reimbursement, associate discounts and an excellent Wellness Program.

Cons

Not a con so much as a reality of participative management: you have to work to achieve consensus. Sometimes that may involve getting upwards of 20 people on board. It requires that you provide reasons and benefits and have a high capacity for patience. But the results speak for themselves – when you’ve got buy-in across the board, implementation is much easier and more quickly accomplished. The 401(K) match is disappointing.

Advice to Management

Rio Grande became a part of Berkshire-Hathaway 2½ years ago with understanding that, other than compliance and regulatory statutes, Rio would be allowed to run its own business and operate in a “hands off” fashion. For the most part that’s been the case, but the parent company clearly doesn’t understand Rio’s business model or culture and have pushed for policies that are counter to our culture and counterproductive. I would encourage company directors to stand firm against the enforcement of short-sighted policies that waste time, energy and resources and make no sense for our business.