Riot Games - A very progressive company, in the midst of transformation | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

"A very progressive company, in the midst of transformation"

Current Employee - Design Lead in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Design Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Riot is definitely one of the most dynamic environments I've experienced in my career. It also is one of the few places I've experienced where the passion of the employees directly translates into how they act with one another, how decisions are made about the experiences being delivered to players, and how the company is run on a day to day basis. It is a wonderfully supportive company by any standard, and compared with other gaming companies, it's no contest. The people here are high achievers, result-driven, and above all, self-critical, which minimum of ego. I love every conversation I have with my peers and feel they have my back. Ideas come from everywhere, and people are empowered to make things happen. You are not babied and are feel responsible for the company's well-being.

Cons

This not the place for everyone, hence the long process for recruitment. This is 100% intentional, and despite the screening process, the first 6 months can seem like you're lost at sea. If you can find your groove, it's an amazing place, but not everyone does, and there is some attrition. The company itself is at a bit of a crossroads. A number of long time employees are finally leaving the company after the recent Tencent buy out, and pursuing other opportunities. The company itself is growing at a high rate, which, combined a most of the company operational knowledge and history being "tribal".can put a strain on individuals to know where to go to find answers to questions. Depending on your perspective, Riot is a small company that's growing up really fast, or large company that operationally does things like a small company. If you don't have a proactive attitude, it will be hard for you. No question.

Advice to Management

Strike a balance between the open and collaborative environment with the need to have smaller groups of leaders feel empowered to drive a position for future endeavors. Some people will need to unlearn some habit that may have been successful when the company was smaller, but as the company grows, it becomes impossible for everyone to be involved and chime in with everything. Think what the company values mean for a company that is 2000+ people in size, working on multiple initiatives around the globe, and how to support an employee base whose work/life values may be switching.

Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games

"A really mixed bag."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best experiences of my career. Awesome people, great facilities, great benefits, great campus. Interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Definitely the worst experiences of my career. Extremely type A people, some people don't practice what they preach and many of those people are in leadership positions. Some inherent biases are at play.

Advice to Management

Slow down. Listen more and listen authentically.

"Day to day is great, beware of long term consequences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time

Pros

Player Value: There is a real focus on what people believe provides the most player value. Most work arguments are about how to prioritize immediate player value against long term value and that is amazing to experience.

Daily work: The day to day work usually feels very meaningful and connected to the player experience on most teams, albeit slow and often inefficient.

Senior Leadership: Riot senior leadership is very transparent with our high level goals and most of our longer term milestones to get there.

Growth: There are tons of opportunities for entry level people to advance once or twice if they work hard and take the initiative to solve problems.

Perks: The perks across the board are truly amazing and include: subsidized food, coffee, reduced cost gym memberships, parking, play fund to buy games, clubs, and open PTO.

Great cross discipline teams: Some teams are everything good you have ever read about Riot. They exemplify all of Riot's values.

Cons

I'll start off by echoing everything mentioned in Feb 22nd's review
    "A great place to learn the ropes, but run for the hills if you’re in a leadership role"".
    This includes Senior Leadership with an emphasis on cronyism, rocking the boat is viewed as being misaligned, senior leadership being misaligned with everyone else, poor compensation, and optimized for extroverts are all real and ongoing problems and sadly have gotten worse over the past year or two. I could go on about each of them, but several reviews already do so.

Expanding on the above, a few point's not called out.

Entitlement: Entitlement has gone up significantly at Riot and is often found in those with the least reason to feel entitled. The number of people who waste time and have roles where they are accountable to no one has increased significantly since the start of 2015. Work quality and output that was mediocre in 2013 is now the norm. Play games 2-3 hours a day? Not a problem on some teams.

Compensation: Perhaps one reason a large amount of the company feels so entitled is the pay at Riot is about 20-35% less than competitors in west LA, if you are below senior leadership level. Your ability to negotiate pay raises is extraordinarily difficult. It is seen as un-riotous to ask for more money and senior leadership often stonewalls monetary requests. What makes this so much worse than it appears at first glance is the number of senior people who are compensated very well for the work they did years ago and now coast by making so very much more than the rest of us while doing less work.

Perks: Many perks which people took for granted years ago are dwindling or gone. These lost perks include: WeRiot yearly vacation, unlocked game account, equity in the company, ability to negotiate compensation packages, trips to conferences or events like PAX, and the ability to switch teams to focus on what you are passionate about are all gone or almost gone.

Advice to Management

Figure out what it is you want Riot to be. You seem to want it to be the most player focused game company in the world, have a great CDEV department with their work, grow great leaders, hire and retain top tier talent, actively engage with our players, be open to feedback, and default to trust.

The problem is you don't have to right people to accomplish most of those goals and it's showing. If you want to accomplish those goals figure out who in senior leadership has checked after the Tencent buyout before all the best mid level talent leave for better paying jobs where they really feel valued.