KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 5 years

50% cult - 50% communist China

Apr 16, 2018 - Animator in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits - Unlimited PTO - Campus and free food - Some super talented co-workers

Cons

-The company culture is a complete failure. It's mostly used in a weaponized way to win arguments. Challenging convention is not a good idea at Riot, as well as giving negative feedback. You will be labeled as a negative, toxic person, and you won't be having an easy time with your team. The senior leadership, especially, doesn't take negative feedback very well, and is extremely good at dancing around issues and using their political skills. Agree with the leadership (or who's in touch with it), and everything will be alright. Despite what the so-called "Riot Manifesto" says, titles count at Riot, and a lot of senior people leverage them (combined with Alpha behaviors, political games and back stabbing) to win arguments and keep their status. "Hungry&Humble", I've seen many high-level people making fun of other companies and talking about Riot superiority, despite Riot constantly failing at delivering a second game in the last decade. Egos of a lot of people are way too big. - Favoritism is a big issue in the company, a lot of people in the senior leadership are not qualified for their jobs and, despite their constant failures at what they're doing (and a lot of people under them having a hard time/losing their jobs), keep their positions because they're buddies with the owners. These people's accountability doesn't exist, which is very disrespectful for the other employees. - In 4 years I've experienced and seen a lot of discrimination towards sex, race and nationality, by a lot of people who never faced consequences for their actions. - Extreme corporate atmosphere, with a lot of bad politics happening. - Being at Riot feels like being in a cult. Orientation ("De-Newbiefication" in the Riot language) is basically a full week of indoctrination. You're forced to wear an embarassing hat and, during one of the classes, you're asked to share a painful experience, in which you felt vulnerable (exactly like a lot of cults do). A lot of company gatherings in which a lot of hyperbolic (unrealistic, in reality), things about the company are said, to an audience wearing Riot clothes. Questioning stuff that Riot does (the game, esports, etc.) is perceived extremely negatively. - If you're planning on building a portfolio, go somewhere else. Riot moves slowly, the amount of work and the quality of it will be not up to par with the current industry standards.

Continue reading
    46 people found this review helpful

Riot Games Response

HR Generalist

Hi, I'm Michelle, a Talent Generalist at Riot. First, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It saddens me to hear that you have had a negative experience at Riot and I would really like the chance to sit down with you to discuss your comments in-depth. Particularly, your comment that in your four years at Riot you have 'experienced and seen a lot of discrimination towards sex, race and nationality, by a lot of people who never faced consequences for their actions' is extremely concerning to me and definitely requires deeper discussion. I understand that Glassdoor provides an avenue to give feedback anonymously, though given the nature of the feedback you provided regarding behavior that would be in opposition of our Core Policies, we would really like to gather more details. Additionally, Riot has a policy against retaliation for any reporting Rioters. To be super clear: your position at work can't be impacted in any way if you make a report. We want Riot to be a place where every Rioter is (and feels that they are) respected, equal, and safe. In order for us to provide follow-up and take action, please consider reaching out to me directly. Thank you, Michelle Torrence mtorrence@riotgames.com

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

One of my best career experiences.

Aug 8, 2022 - Senior Technical Artist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Acknowledges mistakes taken by senior leadership. Encourages vulnerability, risk taking and the resulting mistakes as a means to growth and development for the individual and the company alike.

Cons

Mobile, Riot is trying to figure out mobile development, but they’re not geared for it yet.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Aug 8, 2022 - Art Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, work culture, best in the industry,

Cons

Work life balance does not exist , male dominated, lack of project management

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Riot Games.

Riot Games Photos

+ Add Photo
Riot Games photo of: Welcome to Riot! (Los Angeles HQ)