Riot Games - Finally, a home | Glassdoor

"Finally, a home"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Riot is for a particular kind of person. If you are a technically solid, demonstrated talent with personality and drive this is the place for you. I have had more fun in my first 6 months here than I have in the past decade plus of software development. I have had plenty of leadership roles at other companies with a slew of fancy titles. I was BORED.

Riot allowed me to be creative, productive, and free from title and politics. They honestly care about their players first, last, and everywhere in between. Fortunately, Rioters are players, so we love to do the work that will also selfishly benefit ourselves!

Cons

The lack of management can sometimes lead to a lack of organization.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Also, do be afraid to take some product risks on new things. Players appreciate direction even if it's not all the way there.

Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games

1. "Amazing experience, i feel reborn..."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just a bit of context: I relocated to LA from the UK to take the job at Riot. I guess I took a considerable risk - I already had a very senior and well paid job in a prestigious global investment bank as a lead architect, and had a family settled in London. I also left halfway in the bonus cycle. However, I wasn't really enjoying London or banking (or the commute). I've been at Riot for 6mths now.

Without exception, I've found Riot and the work environment to be very refreshing and full of opportunities. I enjoy the gaming space, the company ethos inspires me, and I'm really enjoying the work and the company culture. I'm glad I made the move for the company as well as the location.

Pros:
    - the game they make is an absolute phenomenon. I'm working on (and making a difference to) one of the most successful games in history. I'm having the time of my life! How often do you get the chance to work on such a prolific system?
    - senior leadership is made up of really good people. they think very clearly about complex issues, and are very approachable.
    - nearly all the original employees are still present
    - the quality and energy of the staff is extremely high. The average tech person here would walk all over the average tech person in investment banking.
    - the people are genuinely friendly and very geeky. I feel quite at home here.
    - the company is pointed in (what i consider) a very ethical direction by senior management
    - they have been genuinely flexible about work hours, areas of work and dealing with the complexities of an international move. I have really decent bosses.
    - politics is pretty minimal (and it's not really organized as a strict hierarchy per se)

Cons

- they've literally got too much work to do. Getting good hires through the door has been challenging and I've had to spend more time than I would have liked in interviews
    - being apart from my family (my wife and kids are still in the UK temporarily as my eldest is finishing GCSEs) has been tough. I'm glad I moved to California though, the weather in the UK was really starting to bring me down.
    - Riot is in transition from a startup to a more mature organization, with all the commensurate growing pains. Coming from banking I find this very exciting with lots of opportunities, but YMMV.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. This is going to sound kind of goofy, but the people who built and run this company inspire me with their passion, humility and drive. I love the entrepreneurial spirit that seems to percolate through the company (is this perhaps a US thing rather than just a Riot thing?) also.

2. "Phenomenal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staffed with the best, brightest, and most collaborative developers in the industry. This is a friendly environment where people lift each other up to produce the greatest things possible for the players, as opposed to tear each other down in an attempt to climb a ladder.

Incredible attention is paid towards ensuring employee satisfaction. From great perks (free food, video game fund, fun group/team/company outings, tons of League of Legends goodies, a responsibly relaxed expense policy and more) to a PTO-less attendance policy (just take off when you need to), Riot consistently evaluates and looks for new ways to create a phenomenal place to work.

An unwavering commitment to creating the best gaming experience for players. Many decisions are made for the greater good of the player despite any associated financial burden. This is a company with a long view, not one concerned about maximizing revenue for the next quarter.

Enormous growth opportunity for every imaginable position.

Cons

Apparently I cannot leave this blank. How about this, when I find a real solid con I'll update this section?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!