Riot Games - Riot Games is challenging, but it pushes me to my limits so that I can grow and expand my skills in a short time span. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

"Riot Games is challenging, but it pushes me to my limits so that I can grow and expand my skills in a short time span."

Current Intern - Corporate Marketing Intern in Santa Monica, CA
Current Intern - Corporate Marketing Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people (so passionate and engaged with what they do)
- Awesome perks, benefits, facilities
- Feedback oriented (everyone is so open to feedback and they truly appreciate the criticism)
- Cool on-boarding experience (what other company has a denewbification process?!)
- Rewarding challenges (I personally enjoy being challenged because it lets me know that I always have something to improve on and I will only get better from here)
- Culture (Riot's culture is so open, positive, player-focused, passionate, intellectual, engaging, rewarding, caring and all other adjectives that can describe its awesomeness. It's hard to top what environment the Rioters are immersed in).

Cons

- Everyone is so busy (sometimes it's hard to grab people you need or set up meetings with important stakeholders because they're just booked for a long period of time)
- Clique-y groups (it isn't everywhere, and lots of people are friendly and always reaching out to other Rioters, but sometimes you can see a couple cliques here and there. It's not much of an issue though because people are so open to meeting new people).

Advice to Management

I don't really know the management, so I'd love to have more events that will help me get to know them more!

Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games

"Spiked Punch: Colorful sugar rush fun times during, followed by headaches and sour stomach."

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, stable company. In this economy these are strong foundation.

Riot is a real business, with millions of real passionate even fanatic users, they have grand visions of the future, where the Riot universe will stand 50 years from now along side what Marvel is doing. This vision is impressive if risky, but they have deep pockets, real profits, to generally back it up.

You can make an impact. Your work there can affect millions in dramatic ways, even within a week of being there. How many companies can offer that? They ship often, and mix month long initiatives with just found out about this a day ago issues, so odds are you can find something interesting to work on, and you can probably go anywhere as the company is pretty flat.

Pretty much any perk you want subsidized for you and your SO (gym, food, massages, trips, movies) all the caffeine+sugar in any form you could ever want to drink. It's a bit like a private college campus, in feel.

You'll generally be surrounded by passionate, competent people. Prepare to be inspired, and others to go out of their way to help you on your way ..if you ask nicely.

A strong social culture. I'd say familial, except you'll rarely get to know anybody that well.

Cons

Interviewing and onboarding was for me a borderline hazing ritual, and the day to day if your doing anything worthwhile, means frequently be getting kicked in the tenders. May want to bring a helmet and a sports cup.

High friction environment, expect to spend 30% of the time in meetings (including wrangling meetings so they don't overlap), if your on the front line 30%-60% of the time fighting complicated forest fires, that weren't visible the day or before, and much to managements horrification defy any ability to plan, or change their ways, despite attempting so.

The culture of Riot is young, arrogant and narcissistic, it feels like a pro sports team that just won the superbowl 3 years in a row, does things in a particular way and now is attached to the way of doing things even if like the ham butt problem they don't really make sense on a grand scale.

Pretty much every part of Riot is under the crisis of turning a rusty bus into a shiny 747 in a year or 2, with paying people never getting off, and the vehicle never stop moving 24/7 worldwide... and to make things complicated, that 747 is already deprecated in anticipation of a space ship capable of interstellar drive, but is a decade away practically. That identity crisis leads to many Riot is their own worst enemy actually getting stuff done.

The work turning a rusty bus into a 747 can be ugly, challenging and unforgiving. Having millions of live users means every weak link is stressed and often breaks, and even innocuous things can have drastic consequences in live production, impacting millions of users so severely they picket the offices. Issues can be 6 layers deep of locked black boxes, that takes months to understand enough data what is causing them, if you can even get data on them (it's a rusty bus remember?). There are often a half dozen languages and a dozen esotaric systems to make any part work. This continued effort wavers between a turnon and grinding treadmill. Expect at the end of the week to be pretty tapped, and your SO probably not very understanding why your a vegetable on the weekends and don't want to do anything.

The process of managing the work, (almost one dimensional jira and walls of post-it notes) is often a poor fit for what the super complicated and rapidly projects need. Riot is exceptionally flat and often it feels like there is 12 people collectively driving the bus at any given time, each with , and in some cases shouldn't be driving anyway.

Day to day. expect to spend a lot of time juggling competing conflicting priorities. Between "blue sky...cost is no object" and "this was supposed to be done last month, what's the minimum we can do?". Everyday is like ER triage, do we cut off the left arm or right one? is the heart attack or 3 car pileup more important, meanwhile other high priority tasks starve and rot on the sideline. There is sort of an ADHD with projects half started, or half fixed, and never cleanly finished, an long backlogs where poor project managers every few months continue to ask for help with no response.

Riot likes to throw people at and sometimes under problems. Be expected to be treated as a cog, that can be placed anywhere at any time. Month by month, you will meet new people and then a month later, you or they will move and you'll rarely see them again. If your good at what you do and fit well in the machine, expect to either be there doing the same thing forever to the point you dislike it, or quickly overloaded and split focus so things are hard to manage, and pretty much everybody there is heavily loaded, so don't expect most things to go smoothly or sensically.

As Riot is a social political machine, it's not enough for you to do a good job, to be successful you have to sell it to others. If you get a project that doesn't fit into clean department lines, prepare to get squished.

This extends especially to projects that are outsourced, "setup to fail" started often without much planning (at least architectural), or continued oversight, and end up in crisis as they are tried to be integrated in a rush, and end up having huge issues, requiring everyone to dogpile on. While the intent for many of these features to be player facing, I often saw designer/developer thinking very egocentrically, running amok, leading to leaping ahead without looking, then in the end often throwing away months of work, and red lining people for months in the process.

"A truly different video game company"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great culture, smartest people I've ever worked with. A place where you can come up with an idea, form a team, build it, and ship it to millions of players. How cool is that?

Cons

Young company, ambitious, but focus is sometimes split. Would benefit from less projects and more focus. Also needs to kill off long term projects that aren't generating sufficient returns.

Advice to Management

Provide more strategic advice. Help people understand the best way to focus their energy.