Riot Games - Great company, great culture, great experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

"Great company, great culture, great experience"

Former Employee - Corporate Marketing MBA Intern in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Corporate Marketing MBA Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Riot Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was working at Riot Games as an MBA intern this summer. It is a truly meaningful experience. Seldom could we work for a company at such rapid growing stage, yet there are already lots of amazingly smart, humble, and passionate people who you could work with and learn from every day! There is no routine or fixed type here. Everyone and everything is unique. You can define your experience and others' experience here.

Cons

Having said that, you might have realized that it's challenging to work in such an environment if you are not a person who likes high autonomy, solving ambiguous problems without much guidance, and can work in a messy situation. If you are looking for well-structured training and guidance, Riot might not be the place for you. Here, you have the freedom to create and grow, but you have to be able to take care of yourself and have a good judgement on when to DIY and when to seek help. And if you don't like fast-paced, sometimes high pressure, and always changing work, then prob. you'll feel very stressed here. It's good to step out of your comfort zone, but you cannot go too far if the challenge gives you more harm than good.

Advice to Management

Maybe adopt knowledge management system and promote more sharing of knowledge, skills, and experience among employees, esp. what they have done at Riot and what they are working on now. So that everyone can pick up quickly and easily. Each employee has the responsibility to record and share, and management just provides the resources and cultivates the environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games

"One of Us"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Riot Games as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting dressed for work was never easier, thanks to the Riot t-shirts and fashionable outerwear. You can easily spot other Riot employees on their morning commute by car, bus, or inflated ego. Don't forget to wear your Riot gear, your coworkers are taking notes.

Once at work, you can enjoy free fruit and cereal. Throughout the day you will find leftovers from meetings, and you'll learn the names of the Humble Hungry. Stay hungry, Riot. Look for the "secret kitchen" (by the main lobby). That's where most food winds up.
    You get a $10 daily meal credit for dinner via Seamless, but only if you stay late (meaning later than 7 PM), and if you value your job, you WILL stay late.

If staying late at work means playing League of Legends while a "significant other" (Riot's PC term for wife/husband/partner) waits for you, then you'll go far. It's that work/life balance thing. If you need to leave because it's 8 PM and you just pulled another 11 hour shift, you better stick around and play for an hour if you want to keep your job. Some will stand up and declare you as Not a Team Player.

Dylan was the best CFO ever! A very trusting and giving person. Come in around whenever. Leave whenever. Stay as long as you like and play League of Legends and charge the overtime. You can mod your Nerf Pyragon blaster at 11:30 PM in the candy room, even though your shift ended at 7 PM, and still charge overtime.

The candy room. A magical place to just chill and eat candy and talk loudly. A place to listen to bad music and shoot Nerf guns. Nobody works in the candy room or needs to concentrate. If someone appears to be working, crowd around them and talk loudly. BroPoints for flatulence.

A place for unique people to be just like everyone else and quirky and different. There are some nice people at Riot, some of whom will kindly show you the door if you're not a good culture fit.

Cons

In short, a cult of hypocrites and liars. The most corporate anti-corporate corporation I've ever worked for. I learned that when a corporation focuses heavily on its public image, you will be judged mercilessly.

So, you made it through the amateurish interview process?

When you start at Riot you attend brainwashing day-camp for a few days. They're constantly revamping the Denewbification process. They make you feel so good about yourself! How did you get so lucky?? The shirts and mugs they give you are accolades for being so awesome! No really, they tell you this. "We only hire the best/type A/good looking"... see how PeopleOps' attitude changes towards you after a few weeks. The puppy loses its cuteness, but there's a fresh crop of new hires starting every two weeks.

You will not succeed at Riot if you don't develop a dozen insincere friendships.

Most employees are on divorce/break-up watch. Wanting to go home after a 10 hour shift earns you the Not a Team Player title. Riot goes on about work/life balance, but they don't tell you what they consider acceptable. Good luck starting your relationship or family. You belong to Riot now.

People on top of people crammed around people. How many people can you squeeze into one place? Riot is trying to find out. It seemed like more people don't practice good hygiene at Riot than a modern corporation should allow.

No review cycle. No clear career path. No guidance from management or senior coworkers. Riot goes on about how important feedback is, but you don't see it. You are promised three things: a Buddy, a Mentor, and Feedback. Good luck even getting one of those things. Feedback is so important to Riot, but you're not.

Bad communication between departments. Unrealistic goals and poor team collaboration. Daily group stand-ups would ultimately devolve into shouting matches if the boss wasn't there. A mostly male company with alpha-male issues. We had two directors with the same title because one was never there. This led to lots of goofing around, which led to people having to stay until 11 PM, 12 AM, sometimes 1 or 2 AM. There would be email waiting the next morning sent at 3 AM.

Too many emotionally immature people under one roof. Some are deep in the spectrum, most are in a position to decide your career fate. People who need cookies just for showing up to work. Everyone who got a trophy just for playing grew older and joined Riot. These are the spoiled "I am special" young adults you've probably only read about. I can confirm that they are special.

Humbition is a word Riot likes to use without following its meaning. It's a cute word that is fun to pronounce and that's all they care to know. False humility abounds, and it beds with idolatry.

Advice to Management

Respect people's work/life balance. Significant Other is an offensive term to a spouse.

"Great experience - if you love games and like being challenged"

Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Some Sort of Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People here really do love games, especially LoL. This is fantastic from a social perspective, and also makes it a lot easier to 'do the right thing' for players. Other game companies I've worked at have not been nearly as good on this.
    - The company is very selective about hiring, and holds people accountable to perform well. This can be a little bit scary at a glance, but it ends up meaning you can trust your co-workers, which is great.
    - LoL is doing well, and this is really fun to be around. Not sure how else to say it.
    - Politics are light. While there are some managers that have quirks, and some situations where it's not clear who is in charge of what, most of these cross-group disputes are well-meaning. I like that you can have a direct, candid discussion about problems with the leadership team and not be risking career damage in doing so.
    - I do best with direct feedback, and Riot for the most part provides this.
    - Problems tend to get solved. I've been here several years, and my major complaints from one year do not typically persist to the next.
    - Benefits and creature comforts are very good, and have been gradually improving.

Cons

- We are sometimes a little slow in our desire to not make mistakes that will adversely affect our players. This means that sometimes something you work on ends up not getting released for a while.
    - There's a lot of change due to the company's steady growth. This sometimes causes management gaps where no one is responsible for something. I like that Riot facilitates stepping up, but sometimes this is a tough situation.
    - You do need to work hard here. I think the work life balance is significant better than most game companies, but this is not a lifestyle company.
    - In many groups, there is a de-facto expectation that you self-direct your career. Riot is very friendly to the idea that you need to make career progress and grow, but doesn't always know how to enable this until you ask. You need to ask.

Advice to Management

I feel like some of the young managers don't yet know what they are doing all of the time, and could use some help from senior managers in figuring it out.