Riot Games - Empowering culture that provides opportunities for talent to take control of their career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Riot Games

"Empowering culture that provides opportunities for talent to take control of their career"

Current Employee - Talent Programs Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Talent Programs Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Riot Games believes in the talent that they let through their door by empowering them to pursue what they are passionate about. They encourage you to find a project that aligns with your career aspirations and adds value to our players. While I've heard this at previous points in my career, I have never worked at a company that truly put this into practice. They trust that every Rioter is highly competent and capable and allow them the freedom to take on short term productivity losses for long term development gains.

Cons

While embracing this entrepreneurial culture was energizing for myself, I can empathize with personalities who do not like having to find their own opportunities. Riot is a very unique place to work and it requires a person to be very self-aware of whether or not they are truly happy working in an environment like this. Riot does recognize this and provides candidates and new Rioters an opportunity to get a taste of the culture and see if it is a fit for them. The difficulty lies in whether or not an individual can make an accurate evaluation in a timely fashion without being distracted by the fun, exciting, and playful nature that is working at Riot.

Other Employee Reviews for Riot Games

"A place to be proud of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Riot has been one of the best decisions I ever made.

I'm consistently challenged but don't feel overwhelmed.

I look forward to coming to work and being around talented, passionate people.

Great gaming hardware.

Video game (play) fund.

Benefits.

Personal & professional development.

People care.

Being surrounded by gamers means I can completely be myself.

Cons

Things can be slow to move, often times Rioters will take on too much work resulting in slow deliveries.

The office (for now) is spread apart enough that you are consistently late to meetings due to transit.

Internal comm/information centers feel frankensteined and ad hoc, often times you have to go to multiple internal locations to get information you need. Most likely resulting in you asking the person next to you for the answer.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring gamers! It's in our DNA and what makes this place amazing.

Keep caring! It's contagious at every level and it's what makes this place feel genuine.

Be transparent about work/life balance and what our opinion/perspective is.

"A people mill that will leave you sad"

Current Employee - Desktop Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Desktop Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Riot Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you start at Riot you'll be in a large batch of new hires and undergo indoctrination and testing (Denewbification) for over a week. Prepare "a vulnerability" to share with the group, watch the parade of people, and watch what you say. Enjoy the pampering, because once you remove your Teemo hat, you get to meet the people that really work at Riot.

Cons

You will learn what's missing from their Cultural Statement, and you will see the true company values by who is retained. You will also understand why you started with a large group, and why there is a new large group every 2 weeks.

Eventually you won't see people from your "class", and you'll notice more tenured colleagues missing. One day you'll be asked to walk with your boss, straight into a conference room where for the first time, you won't hear the hip bro-talk.

Finally, you're escorted to the street with your box of personal effects they packed while you were attending your final Riot meeting.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't take advice, or feedback.

Riot Games Response

Jul 23, 2014 – Director of Communications

Hi, Thanks for sharing your candid thoughts -- we really mean that. As hard as it is for us to hear some of this, it's important that we stay in touch with the ways that we need to get better ... More