Riverbed Technology - Riverbed presents a good vision, executes successfully, and values its employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Riverbed Technology

"Riverbed presents a good vision, executes successfully, and values its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Executive management has a clear vision and executes it with smart finance, acquisitions, and communication
* Product management is fairly good at providing reliable data
* Acquisitions are given a lot of freedom to run their business the way they want. This gives the feel of a smaller more agile company.
* Employees are valued: benefits are better than expected, and when they change, they generally get better. Coffee, soda, juice, milk, cereal, and snacks are free and always available. Specialized equipment requests are usually honored.
* Healthy promotion from within

Cons

* IT wants to lock down developers to the point that it interferes with productivity. VPN is required on the local wifi. Hardware vendor has limited choices that aren't developer friendly. All communication must go through the system which is routed to an outside vendor to triage.
* Development groups do not support each other very well. Certain groups (larger ones) do not have any motivation to respond to requests from other groups.

Advice to Management

Support your developers more:
* Fend off the oppressive policies of IT.
* Provide the best equipment. If a developer says "I know this sounds unreasonable, but I would like the top-of-the-line apple laptop with a thunderbolt display", don't say "Yup, that's unreasonable". Instead say "I can get you that, but you won't be able to upgrade as quickly as others in your group". That's a win-win situation.

Other Employee Reviews for Riverbed Technology

1. "2013 Top Work Places"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed allows me to operate like an independent contractor in that I keep my own hours, manage my schedules so long as I meet the customer's requirements and perform at a high technical level. They stand behind my decisions and we collaborate internally very well. Medical coverage is over the top. Pay is GREAT! Incentives are always there to earn more.

Cons

I don't really have any. The products are second to none and have a great ROI. Management is very proactive and provides the tools I need to conduct my work. They check in routinely to ensure I am not being over worked and are interested in my wellbeing.

Advice to Management

You Guys ROCK!

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Web Systems Architect in Portland, OR

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The WAN optimization technologies that Riverbed creates facilitates collaboration and maximizes employee productivity across worldwide locations. As a remote employee over the last 4 years, I've found the products have accelerated my efficiency, allowing me to do my job both effectively but quickly. In sum, the company enables individuals to grow both personally and professionally within a very modern/progressive corporate infrastructure - and provides tools to encourage success. This is the type of company I want to be associated with.

Cons

I can't think of any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work