Riverbed Technology - Riverbed is growing up | Glassdoor

Employee Review

"Riverbed is growing up"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall company culture of excitement and pride for solutions. Good pay and benefits are very cost competitive.

Cons

The company is growing up and going through several changes right now, but I believe they are on the right direction.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

Cons

Following the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Advice to Management

Enough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

"Reality-Based Company With Lots of Competent People"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Interesting products to work on
    * coworkers are competent but not arrogant
    * good location (in downtown SF) ..and several other large offices in Sunnyvale, Boston, Bethesda.
    * we work well as distributed teams
    * we get our work done and have lives outside of work

Cons

There is always some process overhead and bureaucracy at a company this size.

Advice to Management

keep working to make the products best in class and let's keep some of the small company values that we still have.

Discover more reviews about Riverbed Technology.