Roche - Great company | Glassdoor

"Great company"

Current Employee - Market Analyst in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Market Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people and culture, always striving to be better - from individual contributors to sr. management

Cons

I heard salary is on the lower end

Other Employee Reviews for Roche

1. "A place to learn and grow surrounded by smart, experienced talents"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Nutley, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Nutley, NJ

I have been working at Roche full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Salary, Benefits, work/life balance, Job learning tools, smart colleagues and leaders

Cons

too much silos and not much sharing of ideas amoongs business units

Advice to Management

remove barriers and allow science and innovation to breathe

"Not a good place to work, period."

Former Employee - Marketing Research Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Research Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Roche full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You meet a lot if good-natured people with positive attitudes, but only untill they realize that promised opportunities were just carrots on a stick to get something out of them. In our division there were few people left with more than 8-10 years experience. That seemed to be the point where employees gave up trying to work with management and left. You could see people's demeaner and attitude change the longer the were with us.

Cons

They keep the carrot and hit you over the head with the stick. In 6 years with the company I saw lawsuit after lawsuit by employees and vendors. Roche has the attitude that they're too big to lose a lawsuit, so they basically enter into contracts and, after getting what they want, they walk away from their end.

Most co-workers complain that Management approaches them with promises of promotions if they add extra work and assignments. After the Managers get what they want, there're no promotions.

Another common practice is that you can't "resign." Many, many ex-employees have found that they can't use Roche as a reference because, when you resign, HR puts "Terminated" on your record. Roche is so paranoid of employees going to the competition or a vendor that they trash your record to keep you from finding another job. This is begging for a class-action lawsuit.

Each month our department sent an e-mail with the names of employees no longer allowed on the premises and that security should be notified if they were seen. Each month there were at least 3 new names. It got to the point of absurdity. Whether those employees were fired, or resigned and then labeled as having been fired is unclear. But with what we knew of HR's practice of labeling all ex-employees as having been fired, it really crashed moral.

Advice to Management

Well, you guys seem to have everything in the bag. You're the problem for your employees and you don't care about them.