Roche - Many resources and interesting work. Large company bureacracy is an issue. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Roche

"Many resources and interesting work. Large company bureacracy is an issue."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Research Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great network of scientists who in general are dedicated. Diverse cultural background of employees and interests. Great to be in the Bay Area close to many biotech and technology firms. Many interesting scientific and clinical problems with fairly good resources to explore solutions. Employees are generally happy and non-toxic and there is general cooperation.

Cons

Has some long time employees that are in positions of power and not competent or innovative. Basel in particular is a very non-productive, slow, and bureaucratic in their approaches. Very poor mechanisms to deal with bad senior management. Conflict is kept hidden and many back-room deals and negotiations.

Advice to Management

Identify and distinguish between the most productive employees and dead weight. Empower employees more and fund and reward more innovation.

Other Employee Reviews for Roche

1. "Balance of positives and negatives. Negative issues are big ones though."

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Training opportunities. International company. Career advancement opportunities.

Cons

Too much effort required to build relationships and manage stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Be fair, open, honest, transparent, build trust.

2. "Roche is a great place to work if you can avoid the politics."

Former Employee - Senior QA Specialist in Belleville, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior QA Specialist in Belleville, NJ

Pros

Roche was the place where I learned how to be a professional. I loved the people I worked with on a daily basis, as well as the friendly and supportive atmosphere. I had great opportunities to learn and grow there, and people are still impressed when they hear that I worked at Roche. My supervisor taught me a great deal, as did my coworkers. Roche values mentoring very highly, which is wonderful. Mentoring inspires great working relationships and helps both the mentor and the protege learn new things and stay current.

Cons

There were rivalries between worksites sites, favoritism, and politics were prevalent. While there were opportunities to learn new things, the group structure was calcified and younger folks couldn't really hope to advance until older folks quit or retired. I always had the impression that Sr. management was out of touch, and maybe didn't really understand what my group did.

Advice to Management

Sr. management has changed since I left, so I'm not sure how relevant my advice would be.