Rockwell Collins - Management Heaven | Glassdoor

"Management Heaven"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employed for now, maybe I can last until I retire... or find a job I enjoy.

Cons

Cuts to everything, benefits, pay, profit sharing, 401k, pension gone a few years ago, medical.
The culture has become one of duck and cover. No management support for engineers or their decisions. If someone in power does not like the answer you are out.
The corporate surveys are a joke, they ask no hard questions only feel good to make the company look responsive.
A recent restructure in Quality has led to knowledgeable workers being let go and idiots elevated.
Quality leadership has not one person with any experience in Quality operations. Absolutely doomed to fail.
Lean has become a power tool to destroy anything done by anyone with actual knowledge.
They added 4 more steps to the 4 step PDCA cycle... how Lean.
All proven quality tool and philosophies are renamed some from of Lean. Confusion is the result.
New tools which have shown excellent results are cast aside due to not invented here.
EVERY outsourced job has been a failure. The Indians and Chinese cant code verify, design. Several led engineers, technical manger senior technical managers were fired when they kept bring up issues and costs of the outsourcing and management refused to accept the problems.

Advice to Management

Fire 70% of management and hold the rest accountable to become enablers to help the engineers and workers to perform... no micro manage or misuse their power to break their subordinates down. .

Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins

"Management out of touch and outdated"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cedar Rapids is a god place to bring up family.
    Cost of living is not bad. .
    Salary is decent

Cons

Very tight and protective of old ways. Too much emphasis on process. The middle management
    and selected group of old engineers control the agenda. New but experienced employee from outside of Iowa you will have a much better chance of getting along if you display ignorance about the subject matter.

Lot of lip service about ethics and integrity, but no real commitment. Anyone questioning false analysis results that are passed to customer is viewed as none Team player.
    Often intimidation in form of bad reviews is used to thwart the ; illegitimate criticism or questioning of the work.

Many engineers just follow the routine setup by middle management and aforementioned old boys with an attitude " if this keeps my paycheck coming ...". afraid that any suggestion or questioning go the way project is setup will get them ion trouble.

At Rockwell Collins there seem to be overestimation of their knowledge and understanding of technology, but more importantly, an attitude that if you have not worked at RC for years you do not understand the subject matter as well as the local "experts".

At no place I have encountered people who talk so confidently about things they know so little

A very unhealthy attitude of others (customer, companies that RC are subcontracted to, other subcontractors) are stupid or do not know as much as RC, and lack the expertise that RC has.
    This misguided and wrong view of others has cost RC dearly.

Advice to Management

My advice is to get real experts from outside of the companies.
    I know you think that everyone (technical staff and engineers) who has been with you for 20 or so years are World class expert, but it just is not so. Not that they are no good engineers, but you are falling behind.

Second, when it comes to technical discussions with other subcontractors and customers, try not to be dismissive of them. There are areas where it is RC that is incompetent.

"Decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of career opportunities. Great people for the most part. Commercial BU is doing extremely well.

Cons

There are some organizations that have a lot of lemons working there. Why they don't get rid of them is beyond me. I've seen some talented people get laid off over the years. Very conservative company. Not investing in their future only worried about "today" and making sure Wall Street thinks highly of us. A lot of the programs are lacking "new" technologies.