Rockwell Collins - I'm experienced and here is the best collection of engineering talent I've been around. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

"I'm experienced and here is the best collection of engineering talent I've been around."

Current Employee - PR Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
Current Employee - PR Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High concentration of Industry experts and really smart engineers.
Great place for challenging design work - some really interesting technology and product development that makes a difference.
Opportunity to work with customers (and travel) internationally.

Cons

I commute 30min so I can live in Iowa City for culture.

Advice to Management

Be careful with adjusting the overall benefits package. This place relies on attracting top junior engineers. I'm an outlier - most of the technical and business leadership started here in engineering.

Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins

1. "Much opportunity, and much room for improvement. Talent will be put to good use and excel here."

Pros

Cons

Appear there may be a "good ol' boys club" mentality present in the corporation.

"Interesting domain mired in dysfunctional bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rockwell has a lot of smart and kind people, including managers. On a good project, the environment was relaxed yet productive. The pay seemed to be alright (for the Cedar Rapids area anyway).

Cons

The majority of projects suffered from absurd designs (by committee) and unrealistic deadlines. Important tasks were routinely outsourced to off-shore companies that did a bad job, leaving in-house engineers to scramble at the last moment to try and fix the mess. Fire-fighting is more commonplace than not, making it easy to burn out. Many of the old timers are detached and complacent (coping mechanism after being at the company for so long). Managers are routinely shuffled around on failing projects, and the good ones are often demoted back to "individual contributor" for the wrong reasons. Most of the tools (especially IBM products) will make you want to gouge your eyes out.

Advice to Management

Don't bite off more than you can chew. The majority of problems seemed to stem from big-wigs cutting deals and making promises the company couldn't realistically keep.

Cull dead weight. There are a lot of engineers who are lazy and complacent. It sets a bad example for the new ones and creates resentment among the good ones.

Don't outsource or off-shore work if it's just going to be redone by on-site engineers anyway.