Rockwell Collins - Rockwell Collins | Glassdoor

"Rockwell Collins"

Former Employee - SATCOM Specialist in Duluth, GA
Former Employee - SATCOM Specialist in Duluth, GA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Company with many opportunities for different positions.

Cons

It is a large company which forces them to hire many unqualified employees with little to no work ethic.

Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins

"Poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is a leader in avionics. It has a wealth of knowledge as well as very capable engineers working here. The avionics are high quality and reliable.

Cons

Projects are poorly managed and bid. It would seem that when every project slips schedule and runs over budget that the bidding process needs revision. Poor planning becomes the burden of the employee.

The review system is set up to be easy to rate employees down, not up. The common theme was a person's 'perception' rather than work output. You can see this radiating from upper management in the Melbourne location.

~3% raise is the norm.

Advice to Management

Focus on positive reinforcement of your employees rather than breathing down their neck asking daily when they will be done. A simple 'thank you,' or 'good job,' goes a long way toward not creating such a negative environment.

Create realistic project deadlines and quit allowing scope creep every time a customer bats an eye.

"Land of the revolving door. It's great if you're the squeaky wheel, but that's just not for me."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rockwell Collins has some great employees. A lot of people I've met there are good people with a great skillset for a medium-sized engineering company.

Cons

Management blows. Squeaky wheel gets the oil has never been more accurate than at Rockwell Colins. Rockwell Collins has had an issue keeping employees longer than 5 years, so they treat you like you're a temporary employee. I was bullied around and treated like junk by management. I was told promotions are like magic dust; it never happens. I can definitely confirm it. At Rockwell Collins, it's not if you're leaving for somewhere else, it's when you are leaving.

Advice to Management

An engineering VP once said complacency is when you're doing the same thing to expect different results. If you want to close the revolving door, you need to start thinking different to make yourself great. For me, Rockwell Collins didn't build my trust in them.