Rolls-Royce - Leadership is hit or miss | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rolls-Royce

"Leadership is hit or miss"

Current Employee - Customer Management in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Customer Management in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to be if you want to be an engineer for gas turbines. Have met some very nice and extremely talented people. Decent benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Difficult to find a career path if you don't fit someone's exact mold. It feels like a lot of the senior managers don't take an active approach to developing talent. Less exciting opportunities in the US compared to the UK programs.

Advice to Management

Have higher expectations for senior leaders and don't keep someone in a spot that isn't performing well because it negatively impacts the employees below in that organization.

Other Employee Reviews for Rolls-Royce

1. "Poor middle and upper management"

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay. Interesting and challenging work

Cons

Poor managament. Management based on buddy system and not qualifications

Advice to Management

Hire quality management based on work history and qualifications.

"Great people, but processes & policies need an overhaul"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers - some truly smart and pleasant people to spend my workdays with. There's a lot of expertise in many disciplines. The Indy location has a reputation for figuring things out and getting things done, sometimes in spite of increasingly complex company procedures. The company has started a new "high performance culture" initiative that seems to be an honest attempt at setting a positive tone in the office. I think our new CEO, John Rishton, has great ideas for the company's direction, although he has an uphill battle to fight with the old guard.

Cons

The UK headquarters, Derby, still seems to think its ways are best for all company locations world-wide. They're wrong. Derby increases its micromanagement of the satellite facilities more each year, down to approving job openings for individual contributors. HR seems to be entirely old-school. We've had a forced distribution for appraisal scores for several years. GE, the pioneer of that idea, abandoned it a decade ago. For some reason HR thinks we can attract the best and brightest while paying industry average wages.

Advice to Management

Back off on the micromanagement. The various sites are run by smart people who can figure out what's best for that location. Being a global company doesn't mean Derby has it all figured out for everybody. Listen to Deming's advice and stop with the appraisal scores, particularly on a forced distribution. It's killing morale and doesn't fit with the "high performance culture".