Rooms To Go - The only place to work if you want to work in retail furniture! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rooms To Go

"The only place to work if you want to work in retail furniture!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rooms To Go full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good leadership, good opportunities for higher income, benefits are what you would expect from a large company.

Cons

No tuition reimbursement, retail schedule

Other Employee Reviews for Rooms To Go

"Very unstructured environment"

Former Contractor - Telecom Engineer in Seffner, FL
    Former Contractor - Telecom Engineer in Seffner, FL

I worked at Rooms To Go as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Vendors taking you out to eat and that's it.

Cons

No one communicates. Emails will be ignored unless you are apart of the privileged group. No adherence to equal opportunity, certain people are held to a double and much higher standard. One engineer whom was a great colleague that was there earlier in the year was treated very indifferently. That was something I never seen before and definitely sent a message to the rest of us under privileged group of people. As far as the infrastructure goes, I agree with the previous poster (System Engineer), very reaction based environment with poor planning. That place will hire consultants in a heart beat. Treat that place like a temp job, get it and go! Catastrophe waiting to happen, don't be the fall guy.

Advice to Management

Reorganize the IT Department from the Directors to the Managers. Hire true professionals that are not biased educated and structured.

"Nice People, Disorganized"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Seffner, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Seffner, FL

I worked at Rooms To Go full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A laid back atmosphere with a small company feel. I.T. is very dress casual where sneakers and jeans are allowed. I.T. is very small on the infrastructure team. Self-Motivation is key to keeping a steady work day. Good Learning environment for new technologies since the company relies heavily on vendors. But, you have to watch the vendors like a hawk and take good notes because they don't want to teach what service they provide(Understandable).

Cons

Lack of communication, organization, project management, documentation, and work/life balance. The company is not small anymore but wants to act like one. You may get a direct call from the President or CIO for a project, skipping the chain of command. I have never seen any requirements gathering on any project, rarely had a meeting to discuss the project, leading it being to rushed. All parties are not involved on the project leading it to being abandoned or rushed. It's one step forward two steps back. The disorganization, is too many projects labeled as priority and no communication to the engineers doing the work. Projects appear to pop out of nowhere and being the worker you are the last to know. Your manager has no idea what you're working on, they pass on emails with no direction. There are too many project owners that have full admin access to the systems, these people are not engineers either. These owners will make a change, break it, and blame the engineering team yet with no knowledge of how their system works. The attitude is then to keep a hands off approach. As a salary employee you only receive 10 days of vacation a year for the first 10 years of service, then another 5 days at 10 years of service, 6 Holidays a year. Salary is also no competitive. Everyone is on call, no schedule. You will get called while on vacation. In the short time I was there, over 11 people left the infrastructure department.

Advice to Management

Lead, communicate, document, organize, you'll find these basic leadership skills actually work.