Ross Stores - Was there too long, but liked it overall! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

"Was there too long, but liked it overall!"

Former Employee - Area Supervisor
Former Employee - Area Supervisor

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, fast paced, friendly coworkers, can move up if you work for it. Flexible work hours if you have the crew.

Cons

Depends on the associates and managers to make it a good place to work. hours can get screwy if the wrong person is doing the schedule

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Mtwara (Tanzania)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Mtwara (Tanzania)

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth. Other store managers more helpful than senior managment.

Cons

Micro management, not enough pay, horrible pay for what is expected by employees. Always negetive comments by upper managenment. DO NOT follow own TRUE values. Employees are allowed to run the stores by calling HR. Definately wouldn't reccomend anyone to work there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the cheifs. Let store managers run their stores, that is why you hired them. Plan better, then your managers can. Quit trying to grow so fast....you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

2. "Not an experience I enjoyed to say the least"

Former Employee - Cashier, Fitting Room Attendant
    Former Employee - Cashier, Fitting Room Attendant

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20% discount
    Some employees were great to work with and were a team player

Cons

Hours were constantly fluctuating and were usually cut. To me, being a college student, that was just less discretionary spending money for me, but I could only imagine how much that would hurt the employees who had the misfortune of relying on this job for an actual living. Employee recognition wasn't sincere or well-thought out--if you can get your name drawn out of a hat, you're a good employee, nevermind actually evaluating who would be fit for employee of the month. Check-out area was not designed for optimum transaction processing, which employees are evaluated on (e.g., clothes hangers were in a cubby and you had to bend and stoop to put them away; register computers were from the late 90's and were clunky to work with and slowed everything down). There was a lot of micromanaging from a few of the Front-End Supervisors...one even threw a sort of a fit in front of me and a customer because I removed a perfume from a security case to let a customer smell at least something from the box to get an idea of the scent. Instead of pulling me aside and informing me of the "perfume policy" I have never heard of, she puts me on the spot in front of a customer and acted like I killed her puppy. As far as the actual managers, I've had no problems with them.

You may have an official title, e.g. "Cashier" or "Fitting Room Attendant" but you wear all hats throughout your shift. Your official duties, PLUS restocking, store organization, being a Loss Prevention stand-in (LP's get paid $1-3 more, but do nothing other than stand at the door to greet people and walk around the store once an hour. They do no actual store functions whatsoever, and we still had people stealing right from under our noses...). Ross is known for disorganization, and because of that, my good work ethic of doing a job well done got the best of me, because I would put SO MUCH effort into getting things organized, such as the shoes--which are not in boxes like 99% of other stores but instead freely placed on a shelf--only to have the area look like an F5 tornado hit it an hour later.

After almost a year, I gave up the job and moved on. I was annoyed that my hours would fluctuate radically (e.g. 16 hours one week, four hours the next). I did too much for little pay and there was no room for advancement (if you worked there long enough, you COULD get promo'ed to FES for like a dollar above minimum, but take on EVEN MORE responsibilities. Maybe that's why they were so jumpy.). I am just a college student who will eventually move on to a salaried CAREER in a field I enjoy...I am not going to be a wage slave like most other Ross employees and even managers are, unfortunately. I'm sure other retailers are the same way...

Advice to Management

I'm not sure if giving advice would be important...many current and former employees have echoed advice and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears...