Ross Stores - It was alright...if not for my coworkers I wouldn't have lasted very long. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

"It was alright...if not for my coworkers I wouldn't have lasted very long."

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL
Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were AWESOME. They truly made going to work bearable. Managers were for the most part very nice as far as personality is concerned, but some of their decisions (mainly staffing and scheduling related) were very, very poor.

Cons

-Low pay, and they only evaluate for raises once a year.
-Management is overly concerned with payroll...as such, they regularly under-schedule and as a result too few associates are working for the store to run as smoothly as it can. Or, they won't schedule enough people, then realize it the day before, and go on a desperate crusade via phone to find someone who can come in.
-Clientele is terrible. It's an off-price store, so unfortunately many of the people you have to deal with are lower-class individuals and not at all polite or courteous. Be prepared to do A LOT of returns, by the way....I swear there are says when I had more returns than purchases. It's extremely hard to be "FAST" (their acronym for speed on the register) when you have people coming in with bags and bags of returns that have to be processed and dealt with.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees so much.
Schedule the proper amount of people so our work experience isn't completely miserable. You all seem to care more about payroll than your workers or even customers. When you schedule 3 people to close on a Friday night, everyone suffers. Man up and schedule the proper personnel numbers, even if it means taking a slight ding in profit.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Good introduction to retail."

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is some room for advancement.

Cons

But the pay is very low.

2. "Don't go in with high expectations"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good introduction to working in retail and you'll gain some practical experience. Some of the employees can be very enjoyable to work with and genuinely helpful.

Cons

Management that's inflexible and quick to place blame. Some of the worst customers you can possibly imagine dealing with.. Don't ever expect to be able to plan something more than a few days in advance, your schedule is changed unpredictably if you're not full-time and they make no allowances for personal situations.

Advice to Management

Be a little bit more flexible with employee needs and don't be so quick to assume that a situation is automatically the employee's fault.