Ross Stores - Fun, fast paced & challenging | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

"Fun, fast paced & challenging"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great merchandise, opportunity for advancement, good benefits

Cons

Never enough payroll and difficult to find and keep associates. Store is filthy even with daily housekeeping.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

"Not what I had expected..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ross continues to grow and sales have been on the rise while I’ve been with the company the last 2 years. Annual bonus is a plus.

Cons

Turnover for Management level positions go empty for 6+ months, training in your new role doesn’t exist you either sink or swim, communication is poor between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Ross needs to focus on raising employee morale and focus on those that are working hard without managers and turn some attention on how they can grow in their role instead on being placed on hold until someone is hired. Ross is focused on expanding but not looking into keeping current employees happy or challenged.

"It was alright...if not for my coworkers I wouldn't have lasted very long."

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were AWESOME. They truly made going to work bearable. Managers were for the most part very nice as far as personality is concerned, but some of their decisions (mainly staffing and scheduling related) were very, very poor.

Cons

-Low pay, and they only evaluate for raises once a year.
    -Management is overly concerned with payroll...as such, they regularly under-schedule and as a result too few associates are working for the store to run as smoothly as it can. Or, they won't schedule enough people, then realize it the day before, and go on a desperate crusade via phone to find someone who can come in.
    -Clientele is terrible. It's an off-price store, so unfortunately many of the people you have to deal with are lower-class individuals and not at all polite or courteous. Be prepared to do A LOT of returns, by the way....I swear there are says when I had more returns than purchases. It's extremely hard to be "FAST" (their acronym for speed on the register) when you have people coming in with bags and bags of returns that have to be processed and dealt with.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees so much.
    Schedule the proper amount of people so our work experience isn't completely miserable. You all seem to care more about payroll than your workers or even customers. When you schedule 3 people to close on a Friday night, everyone suffers. Man up and schedule the proper personnel numbers, even if it means taking a slight ding in profit.