Ross Stores - Good first job | Glassdoor

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, especially for a first job! The system is easy to understand. 20% discount. Flexible scheduling. Not all customers were bad and were a joy to serve.

Cons

New employees were hardly trained- I was given a couple of hours my first day and then the next day was on my own. Many of the customers were hard to please. Management seemed clueless about certain things. A lot of my co-workers didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing so it definitely affects how things got done.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Pathetic"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's possible to move up rather quickly. If you don't mind being paid minimum wage to supervise other minimum wage people, that is.

Cons

Everything else. I worked there for a couple months opening a store in Bolingbrook, IL. I've worked in plenty of retail stores and been through my share of crap jobs, this one is by far the worst. Everyone I worked with got about 4-8 hours per week, sometimes zero. There were a couple favorites among a staff of 40ish that got 35 a week. It's a terrible store with bad merchandise, which , when coupled that I was only there once a week, gave me no reason to be proud of my job whatsoever. That, and they to squeeze blood out of a turnip, and will fault you for moving too much while opening boxes. I don't need that for any amount of money, let alone minimum wage. The managers themselves were okay, but the company culture is very anti-union, anti-employee, anti-benefit, I wish people would boycott places like these.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanagement. Listen to your employees. Don't overhire and give people 4-8 hours per week. Reward those who deserve it. Stop with all the "motivational" chants, give us incentives to work hard.

"not what it is promised to be all the comments here are so true its very sad."

Current Employee - Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees you work with are awesome, very hard workers , most of the regular shoppers are very nice, alot of great home decor items. always new stuff.

Cons

The management do not care about anything but the bottom number wich is just about impossible to reach. If they worked with ASM, AS, and MOD back ups ( titles of other managers in the store) as much as they complaine about them it would be a much better place to work. They set hours 1 week at 25 the next 5, then say they will not work with you on the schedule if you seek other employement. The way they say the MOD program works is to walk around with a clipboard and de;legate what to do, and stand there and watch people get mad, walk out instead of taking 2 minuets to hop out there and help, They continously under schedule shifts with not enough people ( to meet the80% schedule effictiveness to budget) then call every person on the schedule to try to bring people in to cover, The budget is not reachable because of the amount of product that comes to location, which makes it harder all the way around. They schedule 6-7 people to do stock which is called the "STEP" process and actually needs 9-12 , by the Process,then when all the sales floor people come in they are pulled to do stock and then the AS (Area Supers) are told to help and then when floor projects, moves are not complete they repremand them and say its not the stock teams job to get the merchindise out, just off the truck then treat the Area Supers like they do not do anything.they dump all the payroll on stock ad non on store recovery so it makes everones job harder than it is,

Advice to Management

If you would stay off the computer and out of the office you might relize how un happy all the employees really are, Dont take the manager on duty (MOD) role , raido and clipboard and sit in the office and ask eveyone else to do the job of what you are to be doing at that time. You ask way to much from the Ares Super and pay them pennies, toatly not fair. Listen to the people, dont blow them off and talk about all of them behind thier backs, the whole store knows how you really feel about people that work for you, Stop playing favirote and be fair and equal to everyone.