Ross Stores - store manager | Glassdoor

"store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

40-45 hour work weeks
discounts
no 6 day work weeks even during holiday season

Cons

never enough payroll
can never make their mind up on processes
never question anything

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, especially for a first job! The system is easy to understand. 20% discount. Flexible scheduling. Not all customers were bad and were a joy to serve.

Cons

New employees were hardly trained- I was given a couple of hours my first day and then the next day was on my own. Many of the customers were hard to please. Management seemed clueless about certain things. A lot of my co-workers didn't seem to enjoy what they were doing so it definitely affects how things got done.

2. "Pathetic"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's possible to move up rather quickly. If you don't mind being paid minimum wage to supervise other minimum wage people, that is.

Cons

Everything else. I worked there for a couple months opening a store in Bolingbrook, IL. I've worked in plenty of retail stores and been through my share of crap jobs, this one is by far the worst. Everyone I worked with got about 4-8 hours per week, sometimes zero. There were a couple favorites among a staff of 40ish that got 35 a week. It's a terrible store with bad merchandise, which , when coupled that I was only there once a week, gave me no reason to be proud of my job whatsoever. That, and they to squeeze blood out of a turnip, and will fault you for moving too much while opening boxes. I don't need that for any amount of money, let alone minimum wage. The managers themselves were okay, but the company culture is very anti-union, anti-employee, anti-benefit, I wish people would boycott places like these.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanagement. Listen to your employees. Don't overhire and give people 4-8 hours per week. Reward those who deserve it. Stop with all the "motivational" chants, give us incentives to work hard.