Ross Stores - Ross leading the way for growth; stability; and social responsibility. I recommend this company to all driven leaders. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ross Stores

"Ross leading the way for growth; stability; and social responsibility. I recommend this company to all driven leaders."

Current Employee - District Manager
Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time

Pros

Company growth and advancement opportunities
Company stability and business model
Senior leadership- CEO vision
Salary and Bonus potential
Work-life balance
Social responsibility

Cons

Inventory allocation process- high volume vs low volume
Payroll model-
Store merchandising/fixtures/presentation
Succession planning
RVP leadership style

Advice to Management

Be as focused on succession planning and talent assessment process as you are on
in-store programs and processes.

Other Employee Reviews for Ross Stores

1. "Sr. and Mid level management needs to adhere to criteria set to themselves"

Pros

Concentrates on development of Assistant Managers and Area Supervisors
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Unrealistic Payroll model to Workload
    High Mid - Level Management Turn-over

Advice to Management

Review your goals and follow through

"Depends on Your DM"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a SM who took over a trash dump called Ross. The old Manager let everyone do whatever they wanted so he was very popular. All he did was stand in front of the store and smoke all day according to employees. The pay was good...not great. Discount helped out a lot. Poor choice in Hindsight.

Cons

Other retailers look at Ross as a stepchild that they want nothing to do with! Your career will take a decidedly big downturn after leaving Ross. Ross started talking about age and pay both being too high and the DM kept putting pressure to cut hours and do more with less trying to drive me out.

Advice to Management

I talked with upper Management about the lack of respect and comments about my age and was told that the DM didn't mean anything and that he had reported deficiencies to upper management about the store. We had a full bonus for 3 years straight which meant that we hit all required matrixes set forth by the company. After changing from a good DM, to the lousy one, He continued to assault my ASM with comments like "Are you going to improve or what?" As long as you are in the good graces...fine. When you get over 50 and make a decent living......WATCH OUT! As a last statement about Ross. After leaving Ross, I have applied at several top-notch retailers and they have told me that Ross is basically a blemish on anyone's resume"